Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Figure/table numbering across multiple files

Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2015 Jun 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey gang,

I've got a multi-file book in FM 11 that requires that page, paragraph, figure and table numbers be sequential (3.1-1, 3.1-2, etc.) across files.  The page and paragraph number issues were fairly simple: Format > Document > Numbering, continue numbering from previous chapter, update the book and Bob's your uncle.  Now, the relevant paragraph numbering is as follows:

H:<$chapnum>.<n+>.< =0>< =0>\t

The figure and table numbers are tougher; using the following format

H:Table (or Figure) <$chapnum>.<n>< >< >-<n+>\t

I can get the paragraph numbers to work out, but the individual figure/table numbers restart at 1 in each file.  The issue is that there's nothing telling FM to continue numbering the tables or figures from the previous file in the book, but I can't figure out how to do it.  Any ideas?

Regards,

-terry-

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 30, 2015 Jun 30, 2015

These counters are considered paragraph numbering for purposes of continuation across book components.

The list of usual suspects when one unexpectedly gets reset include but is not limited to:

1. Conflict between book and component file Numbering Properties
  2. Some rogue paragraph is using the same counter and resetting it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 30, 2015 Jun 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These counters are considered paragraph numbering for purposes of continuation across book components.

The list of usual suspects when one unexpectedly gets reset include but is not limited to:

1. Conflict between book and component file Numbering Properties
  2. Some rogue paragraph is using the same counter and resetting it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2019 Oct 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
how can we solve 2nd problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 02, 2015 Jul 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd suggest that you explicitly use the same number of counters for all autonumber definitions that are in the same series. Excluding the <$chapnum> building block, you have three counters in this example:

H:<$chapnum>.<n+>.< =0>< =0>\t

but four counters in this:

H:Table (or Figure) <$chapnum>.<n>< >< >-<n+>\t

The first example doesn't define what to do with that fourth counter, and is probably defaulting to resetting it.

Work out how many distinct counters you want, and define the purpose of each. I'm guessing you actually want five:

1. Section number
  2. Subsection number
  3. Subsubsection number
  4. Figure number
  5. Table number.

Then work out appropriate autonumber formats, something like this (respectively)

1. H:<$chapnum>.<n+>.< =0>< =0>< >< >\t
  2. H:<$chapnum>.<n>.<n+>< =0>< >< >\t
  3. H:<$chapnum>.<n>.<n><n+>< >< >\t
  4. H:Table <$chapnum>.<n>< >< >-<n+>< >\t
  5. H:Figure <$chapnum>.<n>< >< >-< ><n+>\t

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2015 Jul 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Closing the loop:

Bob's answer was the correct one.  The auto-numbering for the book and for the chapter were different.  Once I went through and reset the numbering sequence and then updated the book, everything was groovy.  Page numbers, table and figure numbers all flow smooth like a gravy sammich.

I also went through and made sure the numbering had the same level and style of indenture as the numbered headings. (For the record, these files need nine(!) levels of numbering.)

Thanks for your help, guys.  I really appreciate it!

-terry-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines