Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

file from fm Version 7.2

New Here ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Goodday

I'm runnig a old FM version 7.2b144 (Microsoft windows xp)  and I have many files .fm from it. I'd like to buy the new relaise 2019  but i'm not shure thet it will possible to open them and continue to work on that files. Can you help me?

Athos

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Athos,

FM 2019 should be able to open FM 7.2 files. You wll be able to contnue editing them and save tem as FM 2019. The biggest issue you will run into is that FM 7.2 dd not support Unicode and you may have to correct some of the special characters. Remember that you can run the current version of FM on an evaluation bass for 30 days without buying a license, so go ahead and try it out.

--Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Athos,

FM 2019 should be able to open FM 7.2 files. You wll be able to contnue editing them and save tem as FM 2019. The biggest issue you will run into is that FM 7.2 dd not support Unicode and you may have to correct some of the special characters. Remember that you can run the current version of FM on an evaluation bass for 30 days without buying a license, so go ahead and try it out.

--Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very kind of you. I will try.

Athos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Any later version of FM, on any platform, can probably open any earlier version of FM, from any platform, back to 1.0.

I just opened an FM5.5 document in FM2019. I got the expected dialogs about update effects, plus expected errors about fonts no longer installed, but it otherwise presented ready-to-work-with. I have also opened FM4 docs in later FMs.

I was doing active new document development in FM7.x from 2008-2019, and have no problems porting them forward to FM2019. It helps that I had made some transitional plans, and over the last 7 years or so, had made a point of doing all non-keyboard characters as variables. There is still value in doing this, as FM8-FM2019 only support Unicode BMP (U+0000 — U+FFFF), and needing some glyph from the SMP (U+10000 and up) is not entirely unlikely, so may still need to use the overlay font hack.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines