Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Files Lock Randomly

Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Framemaker 2019 version 15.0.4.751

Last few days as I'm working on a book files randomly lock as if they opened but didn't close correctly. The user ID on the message is mine. This obviously is a problem in running updates or printing as it stalls those processes. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @katydid6080:

If you are the only person accessing these files, I would guess that the .lck files aren't being deleted for some reason when you close normally. They are stored in the same folder as the .fm files.

You might scan the folder in list view before opening the book. Sort by file type. This will allow you to quickly select the .lck files and delete them—assuming no one else has the files open. Then open the book.

Keeping an eye on this folder may help you figure out why the .lck files aren't being deleted. Or if they're being restored somehow. You aren't working directly on dropbox are you, or another file sharing server. I have run into odd file issues on those services when using Fm. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FrameMaker 2020, 16.0.1.817

Sometimes I also have lck files which are not deleted when I close a file. I do not know why.

With older versions everything was fine.

No dropbox.

Even when I work on a local (external) hard drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, and the person locking the files is me. Frame 2020 seems to have an issue with deleting files sometimes, such as the .lck files (intermittent) and any .log or .html files generated by PDF processing. 

We (currently) use Box for storage, but the files are synced to the local hard drive and that's where I am working on them. We're supposed to be moving off of Box and onto Microsoft Teams OneDrive/SharePoint, and I have no idea what'll happen at that point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @Winfried Reng:

I haven't experienced this in v15 or v16 (or any version, actually).

However, I have the bad habit of working with all of my chapters open (50+)* because I find it quicker to move through the docs and update my book, which works flawlessly, until I crash. Then I'm faced with 50+ .lck files. That's why I am so familiar with how to remove them in bulk. 

~Barb 

*Not a recommended workflow. I am also compulsive about using Shift + Save All Open Files every few minutes, which is how I get away with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I also sort my files by file type. And that's why I spot remnant lck files immediately. And with a good file manager (like Total Commander) I can very easily filter and delete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two bug reports in the Adobe Tracker:

https://tracker.adobe.com/#/view/FRMAKER-9180

https://tracker.adobe.com/#/view/FRMAKER-9629

The second one has the status Investigate. Hopefully this means that this will get fixed in one of the next updates.

When you vote in the Adobe Tracker, this issue will get more attention.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Voted for both. My recollection is this wasn't an issue before, I think, the 2019 release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, I voted for both as well. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I agree, I have not seen this with FM-15 and before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines