Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Find does not honour parameter textLoc

Community Expert ,
Jul 05, 2019 Jul 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear friends with the sharp eyes and clear thoughts:

I'm puzzled. I have this piece of code (get the full script and the test document from here😞

foundTR = oDoc.Find(tloc, oFindParams); // find footnote anchor (FN ref)

while (foundTR.beg.obj.ObjectValid()) { 

oFnTI = oDoc.GetTextForRange (foundTR, Constants.FTI_FnAnchor);

for (k = 0; k < oFnTI.length; k++) { // k always 0 nevertheless loop necessary!

oTL   = oFnTI.obj.TextLoc;      // Location of the footnote anchor (beg)

$.writeln ("¶ format; FN ref: " + oTL.obj.Name +"; "+ oObject.FnAnchorString);

$.bp(true);

if (CheckXRef (oDoc, oTL, sXRefFmt)) { // is there an XRef prior to FN anchor?

tloc = oTL;

tloc.offset += 2;                // behind the FN ref

break; // continue;              // already an XRef inserted

} else {

$.writeln("\tNew FN found\n");

}

}

foundTR = oDoc.Find(tloc, oFindParams);

oDoc.TextSelection = foundTR;        // DEBUG

}

I have text constructs like this:

find-problem.png

• Left to the cursor is a cross reference to the footnote; right to the cursor is the footnote anchor (FN ref).
  • Before I insert the XRef, tloc points to the FN reference.
  • After inserting the XRef and applying character format hypertext to the whole construct tloc points after the FN reference.
  • It turns out that the Find operation (line 16) does not start at this location but at the old location which of course is now more to the left.
  • Hence I'm stuck in a loop with finding the first occurrence of a footnote anchor.

Status of the Data Browser is when I am on line 17 of the above snippet:

find-problem2.png

• It can be seen that oTL gets the same offset as tloc (assigning an object just creates an alias), but really cloning the object does not help.
  • Replacing break by continue (to run also the useless second iteration of the k-loop) does not have any influence, because oFnTI.length is always 1.
  • Nevertheless the k-loop is necessary: oFnTI[0].obj.TextLoc is an invalid object.
  • But «what withholds You than to mourn for him? [Shakepeare, Marc Antonys speech on Cesar's funeral] - What withholds Find to work properly here?
  • From the FDK documentaition I learn: «FS_FindWrap :  A BoolT flag that determines whether the find operation will wrap when it reaches the location where the search began. Default is True; the find operations wraps.» Hence it is useless in my circumstances where I work towards the end of the document.
  • Inserting at line 16: $.writeln ("Error " + FA_errno); // -65: FE_BadInsertPos; -41: FE_NotTextObject reports 0.

Wo liegt der hund begraben?

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 05, 2019 Jul 05, 2019

I am not sure what is happening here, but I don't always trust the Find method, especially with multiple finds. I would replace your first find with a loop:

var fn;

fn = doc.FirstFnInDoc;

while (fn.ObjectValid () === 1) {

//...

fn = fn.NextFnInDoc;

}

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 05, 2019 Jul 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure what is happening here, but I don't always trust the Find method, especially with multiple finds. I would replace your first find with a loop:

var fn;

fn = doc.FirstFnInDoc;

while (fn.ObjectValid () === 1) {

//...

fn = fn.NextFnInDoc;

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2019 Jul 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Rick, You are an angle!

I was so stupid not to recognise the linked lists as the main (and reliable) mechanism and drifted into the swamps. When I saw your answer, I suddenly thinked of the Amish People who have this wunderful song "Simple Things"...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines