• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Find option to return list of files and hits

Advisor ,
Mar 18, 2020 Mar 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The FM book model seems obvious and comfortable, just like DITA maps … but while using a "mere" text editor, I've suddenly realised there's something I don't know how to do in either structured or unstructured FM. Imagine some keen-eyed editor tells you "your capitalisation of Aardvark isn't consistent!" I can point a text editor at the directory and run "search in files" to get a list of all files where Aardvark occurs plus a list of all occurrences per file. (sorry, no source files with aardvark …)

hitlist.png

I can point my current DITA IDE at the files and get a list of all files where Aardvark occurs.

hitlist_XXE.png

But with FM, all I can do at the moment is find where the first occurrence of Aardvark is in all the files referenced by the book.

hitlist_FM.png

Tell me I'm missing something!

TOPICS
Technical Communication Suite

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2020 Mar 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct, there is no Find All feature in FrameMaker, although it is a great idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 19, 2020 Mar 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a strange omission, given the book model … no immediate intention of converting everything to .mif just so I can use grep or Notepad++, but is there somewhere I can log a feature request?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 20, 2020 Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi FieryPantone,

Yes. You can make feature requests in the Adobe Tracker:

tracker.adobe.com/ 

I use the Advanced Search (CTRL+SHIFT+F) in Acrobat for Search All. But yes. I also think that FrameMaker should have this feature.

When you make a request in the Adobe Tracker, post the number here, so that others can vote for it.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip, Winfried … I like the underlying suggestion that any time we can't find a feature, this must be a bug 😕

"bug ID" (after filling in feature request) FRMAKER-8213.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 04, 2020 Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You motivated me to write a script for this. It will be released soon.

http://frameautomation.com/finding-all-in-a-book-or-document/

Dialog.png

Report.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Apr 05, 2020 Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That looks promising! Thank-you; I look forward to trying it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Test script arrived, and after the first day it already feels as though I've always had access to this functionality: even more useful than I thought it might be. Thanks, Rick!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines