Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Finding the sources linked to a cross-reference target

Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm using FM8.

I have a book that has a reference chapter of forms, and these forms are xref'd wherever they are mentioned in the rest of the book.

Now, the client has combined six of these forms into one form. Is there a way to find all the places that link to a particular heading so that I can point them to the appropriate new form, or is it easier to just delete the old content and wait for the unresolved xrefs?

Thanks,

Laurie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

I'd be tempted to just update and then run through a list of unresolved refs to fix them up one by one.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also just cut the Xref Markers at the old targets, and paste them into the first line of the new/merged target.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bob. While this redirect does work to avoid broken xrefs, it doesn't help me to find and consolidate the source text. Maybe I should have given more detail. At the end of each chapter, I have a table that lists the supporting forms used in that module; these are hyperlinked to the appendix. For example,

Form A  --> Form A

Form B  --> Form B

Form C  --> Form C

So while I can use your method to redirect these entries to NewForm25, I really want to find the entries for Form A, Form B, Form C and replace them with one for Form25.

I think the easiest thing is to fix the easy ones to find (they'll mostly be in one chapter) and then fix the broken xrefs when they come up.

Thanks for your response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'd be tempted to just update and then run through a list of unresolved refs to fix them up one by one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try creating an Index of Markers for the Book. This may show you the linkages per form in a manner needed to re-link to the new form. Otherwise, doing a reverse-lookup of a cross reference isn't an easy task. This would probably have to be done with a script [unless you're up to mucking about in MIF files looking at the cross-ref IDs].

You could check with Rick Quatro [Framescript and Extendscript guru] to see if he's already done something like that for a client. For contact info, please see: About – FrameAutomation.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Arnis, I tried the IOM but it only showed me the targets, not the sources. And there aren't enough to warrant getting into scripting. But I appreciate your response anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines