• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FM 11 Unstructured: How to create landscape 11 X 17 master page?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2018 Mar 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to create 3 master pages (Left, Right, and Blank) for Custom layout -- landscape orientation, Legal (11 X 17) size. I know these pages need to be in a separate document inserted after  appropriate chapter in the book file (to accommodate the different flow).  I''ll be able to include all needed pages in this new "document" that I will insert as a separate "file" after the appropriate chapter file in the book.

On these Master pages, I need small text frames on Master page at top with document part numbers, and at the bottom with centered Classification line followed by page number line <$chapnum>-<$curpagenum> centered below it. Between the two I need a large text frame into which I can insert content on the Body pages.

I have created 3 text frames on Master page -- one for header info, one for footer info, and large one in center for content.

Problems I'm having;

1. Header variables (one on right side, and one on left side) insert correctly, but when I go to tab them to the correct side, they go all "black," and I have to page down and back up to see them.

2. Not sure how to rotate pages correctly so I can put cursor into body page and insert content.

3. I believe I'm missing some very basic but important step to make this work easily. On body page, cursor is not in correct place to insert content, which needs to include:

• Text followed by
  • Anchored frame with graphic inserted
  • Figure number caption.

I have not found instructions for this in help or the Unstructured FrameMaker 11 fundamentals book. NOT a complaint about either source; it's probably my user error, or just not understanding how to do this.

Can anybody please tell me how to do this?

Many thanks,

Jhoyt

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2018 Mar 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi joanh0928:

First of all, legal is 8.5 x 14. tabloid is 11 x 17, so I think you must mean tabloid? You can create this as a new custom paper size:
Screenshot 2018-03-04 15.06.03.png

Now if you make this new file double-slided, you will have a left and right master page. Each master page will have three frames: a background frame at the top for the running head, a template frame in the middle to accept the content on the body pages, and a background frame at the bottom for the footer.
Screenshot 2018-03-04 15.15.00.png

You can add a new custom master page and then Control+Click on each of the three frames and delete them to create a blank master (or just leave the frames empty.)

I'm unclear why you need to rotate the pages, but here is a post that explains how to rotate the page and the template frame: Adobe FrameMaker: Adding a Landscape Page to a Portrait Document - Rocky Mountain Training​. It's a different scenario than you are describing, but you may find it useful.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2018 Mar 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barb,

Thanks very much! And you are right…. I did mean tabloid; sorry I said legal. Thanks for guessing correctly.

Since I asked my original question, I had made progress, but your answer added more needed info. Thanks so much!

Joan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 05, 2018 Mar 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Joan.

That‘s great. Glad you are back on track.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines