Highlighted

FM 12 book does not show generated Table of Contents

New Here ,
Apr 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I opened my FrameMaker 12 book, and then used Open all files in book. The table of contents is included in the open files, but does not show up in the book (and is left out of my PDF). I cannot Add the toc file, because it says it is already in the book. I could delete and regenerate, but I've done this a several times and I would like to solve the issue. I don't understand why the table of contents (file reference) disappeared from the book, although the file is open and obviously associated with the book.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

FM 12 book does not show generated Table of Contents

New Here ,
Apr 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I opened my FrameMaker 12 book, and then used Open all files in book. The table of contents is included in the open files, but does not show up in the book (and is left out of my PDF). I cannot Add the toc file, because it says it is already in the book. I could delete and regenerate, but I've done this a several times and I would like to solve the issue. I don't understand why the table of contents (file reference) disappeared from the book, although the file is open and obviously associated with the book.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 28, 2016 0
Advisor ,
Apr 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably not the answer, but I think I could duplicate this behaviour :-} if you accidentally or even deliberately set a component (an ordinary .fm file or a generated file) to Exclude in the .book, that component will be:

• excluded when you generate a .pdf
  • opened when you select File > Open all files in book

I think Find in book is another action that cheerfully ignores the Exclude flag.

And of course, the visual feedback to remind you you've excluded the component is, let's say, subtle ;-}

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 28, 2016 0
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that FieryPantone has hit the nail on the head, but another possible cause if you are using FM 2015 to work on your FM 12 book: Seit Update 13.0.3.1 funktioniert das Inhaltsverzeichnis erstellen nicht mehr.  Basic translation from German: After update 13.0.3.1, the TOC does not work.

Don't trust the translate button: "rumgefingert" means "fingered around with"  not "has been fingering".

I think he's having a slightly different problem than you, as he seemed to not be able to generate a TOC at all, and even on older documents, the TOC was broken. He had to uninstall completely and reinstall, just excluding that update.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 29, 2016 0