Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FM-15 cursor speed

Community Expert ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear friends,

I am disappointed from the speed of the cursor to move the insertion point. This is far less than the speed I get when I repeat characters...

I notice this only in FM. Other applications do not show this behaviour.

https://daube.ch/zz_tests/FM-15-cursor-speed.mp4 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm. I cannot replicate this on my machine.

See my recording: https://techcomm.io/assets/screen-recordings/FM-insertion-mark-speed.mp4

The sound in your video – is that the cooling vent from your machine? I noticed that the fan gets crazy while you are moving the insertion mark. Have a look at the Windows task manager (you can set the task manager in its Options menu to "Always on top"). While doing nothing else in FM, CPU usage goes up to something between 2 to 10% (like in all other apps for me).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Stefan for the information - I'm working with FM-15. Need to test with FM-16 to judge...

Performance is not that bad on my system:

FM-cursor-movement.png

Anyhow it seems to be a quirk of my system, so don't worry..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obviously this was a Windows 10 kickup - today (2021-02-03 17:47) evrything works as epected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @K.Daube, we have further investigated this, and could reproduce the "slow movement" effect in certain scenarios. My understanding from the internal discussion is, that FrameMaker updates panels like the character and paragraph designer (and others) with every cursor movement. The more panels you have open at the same time, the more panels FrameMaker needs to update with every keystroke, the slower it can get on some machines.

We are investigating this further and will improve performance it in a coming update.

Ref: FRMAKER-9654

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

«FrameMaker updates panels like the character and paragraph designer» 

For about 99% of my editing time designers are closed, also catalogues. Assignment of formats are done by using, for example, F9 lbt ENTER to apply ¶-format lbt-list-billeted-tight.

But it might have been the 1% time slot...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines