• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FM 2015 Save as PDF misses some table cell text?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2016 Aug 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I Print to PDF, the table works fine.

When I Save as PDF, the content is generated but it is invisible.

This was first seen in 13.0.0.33 and it persists in 13.0.4.253.

These are simple tables, with no conditional text, text insets, variables, strange para or char formats.

MIF-washing did not fix it.

I saw it last night on my machine in Boston, and reproduced it this morning here and on a different machine with a different file by a different writer in Hyderabad, India.

Displaying image.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which option was used: RGB or CMYK? Try the "other" to whatever was used to create these. These two routes use completely different postscript headers and the font handling is also quite different (and dodgy at best for the CMYK route).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was RGB.

Switching to CMYK had no effect.

This computer was at 13.0.2.433. I am upgrading to patch 4 right now.

----

On my home computer, upgrading to Patch 4 had no effect until I also restarted the computer. Now it seems to be fixed there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my office computer, upgrading to Patch 4 had no effect even after restarting the computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you select the text (i.e. copy & paste) that is in the "missing" area of the table in the PDF?

If so, it looks like (IIRC) an old bug has resurfaced where the text ends up behind the fill in a table. It appears that the bold font used at the start of each paragraph is the trigger for this. [Though it's odd that it works properly on one computer and not on another. The bold couldn't inadvertently be a printer font, could it?]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I can select it. I have copied it and pasted it into notepad looking for clues.

It is the normal bold char format, no special font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

We would like to know more about this issue.

• Since it is not a machine specific issue, we would like to know if you have seen this in other documents as well?
  • Is it a book file or single fm file?
  • Which acrobat version is installed on the machine?
  • Does your machine has thousands of fonts?
  • When you change the font of the source file (portion thats not getting published) - does it appear in PDF?
  • Does changing any "Save as PDF" setting result in success?
  • Please send the file at amagarwa at adobe com, if possibel

Thanks!

~Amit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2016 Aug 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amit,

• I have seen it in two unrelated files.
  • In both cases I saw it when saving the book or the one chapter file as PDF
  • My home computer was at 13.0.0.333, then updated to patch 4, my work computer was at 13.0.2.<something> then updated to patch 4. In both cases the behavior persisted after updating to patch 4.
  • I have 222 fonts. I would gladly get rid of 200 of them, but I don't know how.
  • I changed the first misbehaving cell to Arial and the second to Verdana - both remained invisible in the PDF. I also turned the first word of a properly-behaving gray cell to bold, and it continued to behave properly
  • Setting Generate PDF for Review Only makes the PDF come out right.
  • I will send the file right now.

Thanks Amit!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2016 Aug 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any news? This is still an issue....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 17, 2016 Aug 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John, Thanks for sending us your file. Yes, investigations are still on. We haven't nailed it yet.

But it seems like a font-specific issue: because when we change fonts of the table cells - the text comes in the resultant PDF. Also, it could be an Acrobat issue or may be something to do with Microsoft Windows.

I am afraid you would have to work with the current workarounds, as of now:

• Save as review PDF
  • Print to PDF
  • or with changing fonts of the table cell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2016 Aug 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I have to use our corporate fonts,so that doesn't help. I can print to PDF, but that's a workaround, not a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 12, 2016 Sep 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We have investigated the issue at our end. The issue seems to be a mix of tagged pdf combined with shading of table cells.

When we try to do these WORKAROUND SOLUTIONS - ALL text appears in the output:

1. Generating untagged PDF: Turning off the tagged PDF option while generating PDF
  2. Generating tagged PDF with all tags: Shift >> include all the para tags to be included in the tagged para list
  3. Generate tagged PDF with specific tags. In this case, adding "ListItem_Bullets" to the list helps. This is because it is applied on the text just before the erroneous cells.

More investigations are on, but wanted to inform you of the interim findings if any of them seem workable for you. Do let us know if this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines