• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FM 2015 with hyperlinks to a graphics and html pages?

Explorer ,
Apr 05, 2019 Apr 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to create an interactive document PDF in FrameMaker and am getting stuck trying to make hyperlinks that opens an external html page with information as well as a thumbnail which opens up an image in a new window. I see information regarding opening up other FM files as well as URLs (using HTTP:// web addresses), but nothing regarding a local HTML page (ToolsTableXXX.html or .pdf). This is all really new to me because most of my work has been primarily revolving around printed publications, but... anyone?

TOPICS
PDF output

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 08, 2019 Apr 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

When your PDF should open HTML files on your local file system, then the path from the PDF to the other files must always be the same!

Just change HTTP to FILE in your hypertext Go to URL dialog.

E.g.:

message URL file://c:\index.html

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 08, 2019 Apr 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick feedback! Just for frame of reference, I'm trying to create this environment in SharePoint so I'm doing my best to maintain consistency within the designated file system so the entire main folder can be transferred as needed. In my main directory, I have my set of task files that will call links to a [Graphics] folder to link to CGM files as well as a [Reference List] folder where my HTML files will reside.

I have not attempted the solution just yet, but I'll touch base soon!

but would I need to create a hypertext using: message URL file://Reference List\list.html

?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 09, 2019 Apr 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Yes. You have to create this hypertext command.

The command is active as long there isn't any formatting change, maximum to the end of the paragraph.

A formatting change is also a character tag with everything set to As Is.

When you apply your hypertext character tag, apply this not only to the text after the hypertext marker, but also the hypertext marker.

You can test this in FrameMaker. Press CTRL+ALT and then move the cursor to the character tag area. The cursor changes to a pointing finger. Click, and then your HTML page should open in your default browser.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 10, 2019 Apr 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Winfried, thanks so much for spending the time to help me troubleshoot this issue! I'm having a bit of a bizarre reaction to my attempt.

After choosing the [Go to URL] option in the Command drop-down, and type in the location and file I want access:

message URL file://\\ReferenceLists\DML-e8-c-00-00-00-lop-xxxxx.htm

I click on the [Edit Hypertext Marker] button, the text i inserted changes and I get this:

message URL file://\\ReferenceLists‡ML-e8-c-00-00-00-lop-xxxxx.htm

Is my syntax correct? The intent is to navigate to a local imbedded folder called ReferenceLists, then call up the html file from that location and display it in whatever browser is available. Are my backslashes supposed to be forward slashes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 11, 2019 Apr 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I just tested this with FM 2019. When I enter your path and create the hypertext marker, the backslash does not change.

Does your path start with \\?

Can you change this strange character back to a backslash?

Did you test this with CTRL+ALT?

If this does not work, maybe you can assign a drive letter to \\ReferenceLists and check again.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2019 Apr 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am hoping my path doesn't need to start with a "\\", as I believe that designates a main server to connect to. My intent is to just connect to an dedicated sub directory from where the original FM document exists. My structure resembles this from a SharePoint site in the Shared Documents location:

Shared Documents/CardTasks                          <-- the location of my FM files and PDFs

Shared Documents/CardTasks/Graphics/          <-- the location of my Graphics I wish to hyperlink to

Shared Documents/CardTasks/ReferenceLists/           <-- the location of the html files I wish to hyperlink to

As for the "‡" symbol, I can change it back to "\" and "D" but as soon as I update and save the edits, it reverts back. I'm thinking that this has some special character combo and believes I'm trying to make a special character (which I'm not).

I have tried to test it with the CTRL+ALT keys and I observe "something" happening (like the screen flickers), but nothing loads.

Assigning a drive letter would force the link to be isolated to the PC that the file resides on and I would like to keep it similar to how imported images link to their relative source location.

Quick side question, if I were to open the URL of a jpg, would that image file use the PC's default viewer to view it?

I wish I could have the Graphics and ReferenceLists folders located at the same level as the CardTasks but I am having great difficulty telling FM to jump out one folder level and then back down another folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 15, 2019 Apr 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Here is a description of the Hypertext command to open an external file with another application:

https://help.adobe.com/en_US/framemaker/2019/using/using-framemaker-2019/WS053b9687b4c35b12-4945f450...

When you test this, you should be able to open other graphics files.

There it says that you can specify your favourite application.

Regarding your double cross: I do not see this in FM 2019.

Obviously \D is changed to ‡.

Can you change \D to /D?

Or to //D?

Or \/D?

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2019 Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I can tell, if I use "\\D..." then the double cross icon does not appear... but more so than that, I receive no errors. In every case I use the "\D..." sign i get that double cross icon consistently.

I still can't figure a way to go to a specified location based on the URL but perhaps I'm putting in syntax wrong... or is FM just not able to open linked files using inherent location paths? I can't start with the drive letter because if it starts at the server, then it's not going to map correctly.

I don't feel right using applications that may or may not exist with someone else computer should they try to see it from their end, although the expectation is that they can open a html file with their default browser or a pdf or a cgm graphic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 17, 2019 Apr 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When you check the online help, Appendix, Keyboard shortcuts, Dialog boxes, there it says that Dagger (that's this double cross) can be entered with \Shift+d. That's your situation.

Therefore you must escape the \ to be able to enter a path with a backslash and a D.

Or, easier, just replace all backslashes (or at least the one before the D) with a regular slash.

FrameMaker does not mind whether you use / or \. That's the notation from the Unix days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines