Exit

FM 2017 - Can't open non-DITA XML with a <topic> root

Mentor ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

FM2017, v14.0.0.361,  Windows 10

I finally installed FM2017, but hit an immediate showstopper. All of my XML (which is a lot) uses a <topic> structure similar to DITA, but it is not DITA. I have my own custom schema, template, structure app, etc. etc.  In previous versions, FM tended to assume my files were DITA, but I managed to stop that behavior by disabling all DITA-related API clients and removing all <topic> DOCTYPE declarations from the DITA structure apps. But in 2017, after doing that, I get the following error when trying to open my files:

Translator client (dita_fmapp) was not found. Operation could not be completed.

I know it's a long shot for anyone to know, but is there a workaround? Could it be that I suddenly can't open any of my files because FM has reserved the <topic> structure for DITA exclusively? If that's the case, I find that quite discouraging indeed.

Thanks,

Russ

TOPICS
Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, seems that there is no answer to this. That is a disappointment... I won't be able to use FM2017 because of this issue. I hope that someone from Adobe might read this and consider keeping FM a more flexible XML editor, rather than automatically assuming a certain structure definition and invoking unwanted functionality.

Russ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Russ

Can you please share a sample file and structured application that you are using to check at our end. thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Amitoj,

I appreciate that offer, however I can't post all that here for the world to have. Is there an email address I can send it to?

Russ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines