• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FM 2017 imports PDF images at smaller than full size

Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2019 Jun 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My company just upgraded to the 2017 Release (14.0.4.511) of FM. In all previous versions (and my experience goes all the way back to version 2.0 ), when I import a PDF file (or any image file), it places itself in an anchored frame at 100%, spanning columns if needed. In the current version, when I do this, it scales down the image to an apparently random percentage. For example, I just imported the same file three times into the same text flow. One came in at 22.22%, the next at 40.06%, and the last at 45.32%.

Is this a bug? How can I get the images to import at full size by default?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 18, 2019 Jul 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still looking for help with this.

Apparently, this is related to the column width. The images get scaled to fit in the column where they are anchored. I can see where this would be very helpful in many workflows, but I'd still like to have the option to have everything default to come in at 100%, like it used to. It's a pain to always have to re-scale the image and then manually resize the anchored frame.

Am I out of luck?

(BTW - i can't seem to duplicate the behavior I described above where the same image came in at three different sizes, but I can say that in one case, I was anchoring in a paragraph that spanned columns.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2019 Jul 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please share a screen capture of the dialog just before you confirm the insertion?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 19, 2019 Jul 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Matt,

There's not really a confirmation dialog. It's only this Import dialog. When I click the Import button, the image gets placed in an anchored frame, scaled to fit within the column where the insertion point is.

Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 20, 2019 Jul 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since it's the weekend, I don't have time to dig into your specific experience, but a few questions, comments:

• What's the actual size of the PDF file in question?
  • Have you considered using an Object Style as a shortcut to sizing the graphic itself?
  • PDF doesn't have a "resolution" in the same way a PNG or JPG would...thus there's not a specific dialog that allows you to set size.

I'll try to check back with you on Monday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 20, 2019 Aug 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry it has taken awhile to get back to this. I'be been super busy and wanted to try the suggested object style shortcut. I tried a few things with it but it's a feature I've never used before and can't seem to figure out how it might help, since the imported images vary in size and shape.

The PDF files are of various heights but never more than 6.5" to fit within in my standard column width. The designers are instructed to provide the images at scale so that the callout text is consistently sized across all the images. So, naturally, when I import the images, I want them to stay at 100%. Seems there should be a default setting for that somewhere (if it can't be put back the way it used to work, anyway).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines