• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FM 2017 to FM2015 file conversion?

New Here ,
Jul 18, 2018 Jul 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a huge FM 2015 file on which i was working. I also had FM2017 on my system and by mistake i opened the FM2015 files using 2017 and i am unable to revert it now. Kindly help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 19, 2018 Jul 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I ran into the same situation once. You have to convert the files to .mif format and then open it, save it as .fm in whichever version you may wish. Hope this works in your case too.

Regards,

Vinay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. This was useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you write "unable to revert" does that mean because you don't know how to do it, or because the file won't save in FM 2015 format?

When you are saving to the previous release there is no need to take the MIF route, simply select Document 2015 from the Save as type dropdown.

2017save2015.png

If, on the other hand the document won't save as 2015, you have another problem which will need further investigation.

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this suggestion, but I had already tried this option and the files weren't converted. Once i saved the FM17 files as FM15 and tried reopening them,I got this message (see screenshot below). When i clicked on the option FrameMaker the files did not open at all. When I clicked on the option Native Application, the files opened using FM17.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 20, 2018 Jul 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never seen FrameMaker fail to save as the requested version. I tried to match your scenario, but when I saved a file from FM2017 in FM2015 format it opened perfectly in FM2015.

I'm wondering if you just saved the .book file as FM2015? This means that your fm files remain in FM2017 format while the book is now in FM2015 format.  Saving the book as FM2015 won't change the version of any of its component files. You have to open each file individually and save it as FM2015.

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I did exactly what you have mentioned. I opened all the chapter files and saved them individually as FM2015, including the book.fm file. But nothing worked. The snippet that I posted in the previous comment was exactly what I got when i tried opening the files.

This was a huge book file of more than 1000+ pages, so i tried every possible way to revert to FM2015.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case the MIF conversion route is worth trying. Try it with one file first to see if you get the desired results.

• File Save As MIF 2017 (don't be tempted to use MIF 7.0)
  • Open the MIF file in FM2015
  • Save as FM2015 format overwriting the FM2017 version.

When you reopen the book everything will be back to normal.

You may want to report the problem to Adobe by posting a bug report here: https://tracker.adobe.com/#/home

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you tried opening the "down-converted" FM2015 just from Windows File Explorer and it launched FM2017, that means that your file associations are messed up (as I would expect them to be since FM2017 was loaded last). You will need to reassign the .fm and .book file types to FM2015.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi pre release:

i am unable to revert it now. Kindly help.

Or does it mean you no longer have Fm 2017 installed on that system and therefore can't open the files to save in a format 2015 will open? You will need Fm 2017 to make the conversion. If you can't re-install the free trial on that computer, you will have to use a different computer.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's also a good lesson in this - always use a non-production machine for new trial versions with a COPY of your content to play around with. That way you can never mess up your real working copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had FM2017 as trial and we were testing something using the new tool, but all our source documentation was in FM2015. So while working on the source files, I opened them using FM2017 by mistake and the entire formatting and fonts were lost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you open your fm files, which you had converted back to FM 2015, in a text editor?

What are the first characters?

For FM 2015 it should be:

<MakerFile 13.0>

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines