• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FM 2019

New Here ,
Apr 10, 2019 Apr 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using a trial version of FM2019. I'm  importing a large MIF file into a frame document. Each time FM2019 just quits. The MIF file would generate a frame document of 2100 pages. I know this because the same MIF file imports into FM7.1 just fine.Any thoughts?

TOPICS
Content migration

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First off, make sure you're all patched up - just loading FM fresh doesn't mean that you have all the fixes that were added since it was released. Next, have a look at your machine - are you running the 64 or 32 bit version of FM2019? Do you have enough RAM and drive space? Is your FM file local or on a network drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have plenty of drive space and it a local version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it give any message when it chokes on the MIF file? Any errors logged?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No errors. It just quits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 11, 2019 Apr 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you describe the steps of what you're doing? Post#5 seems confusing to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure.

I create a MIF file in Visual Basic.It's important to note the MIF file contains NO pagination information or Tag definitions.

I Import that MIF file into a Frame document. (Which has the pagination and Tag definitions). Also in the MIF file is an Include file pointing to a table file.

I think that is important, because this morning I saved a MIF file from a Frame Document and opened the MIF file in FrameMaker and it was fully formatted. So I think it has something to do with the way I'm importing. I'm going to try importing without the include file reference and see if that works.

I hope this makes sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it make any difference if you just open the MIF file in FM and then save it as a .fm doc (then you can import formats/tags from some other FM doc into it to make it look good)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If opening the files, as I suggested yesterday, does not work, I suspect it may be an issue with how the MIF file is generated. I haven't kept track of any changes in the MIF code base, but perhaps something has changed.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've imported 10 other MIF file (smaller) and they worked fine. But I'm going to compare my MIF file with the one I saved out of Framemaker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked sort of. I opened the MIF file and Imported the formats. Everything worked except the included tables didn't import.

I'm going to try embedding the table formatting next.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: I create a MIF file in Visual Basic.

What does the header look like? For a MIF7, it should be something like:
<MIFFile 7.00> # Generated by FrameMaker 7.0p578

Otherwise, FM2019 might presume it's an FM8 or later MIF, and misinterpret some characters or markup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried:

<MIFFile 2019> #  03/28/2019

and

<MIFFile 7.0> #  03/28/2019

Same results-crash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please send across the MIF file once for us to have a look.

thanks

Amitoj Singh

email: amisingh@adobe.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Amitoj,

I was going to suggest this but I didn’t know who to send it to.

I will send the MIF file and an empty frame document in a minute.

Roger

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff, Thanks for your reply. I'm running 64 bit version on Toshiba Laptop with 16GB of RAM. I just checked and I'm up to date on any updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you open the FM file directly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It opens just fine. I select-all and delete the existing import. Then import the new MIF file and within a few seconds FM2109 just quits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't usually import the MIF, but open it. After you open it (it gets converted to an FM file), you should be to cut and paste it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rog,

Was the MIF file created in FM 7.1? 7.1 did not support Unicode, so one thing I would watch for is character set problems.

Since you can open the MIF file in 7.1, you might try deleting everything after page 1000 in 7.1 and saving the result as MIF. Can you open the first 1000 pages in FM 2019? If not, what about the first 500 pages? 100? 50? 10? Once you've succeeded in opening a part of the document in the newer version, can you open the following part?

--Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines