Aug 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone tried this combination?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

FM 8 compatible with Windows 10?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone tried this combination?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 12, 2015 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haven't tried (although I do run FM7 under Win7pro64 via XP Mode, and XP Mode is not a supported option for you).

There are multiple issues for older FMs on newer Wins, including but not limited to:

• Does the installer run? (usually yes)
  • Are the executables (.exe's primarily), API-compatible?
  • Are the I/O functions WDF(WDM)-compatible? (and this is mostly about the defeatured Distiller component of FM8)

If FM8 ran in Win7, there's a good chance it will run in Win10. If it doesn't, the first thing to try is to locate the key .exe's, right-click on them, select Properties, then the Compatibility tab, and play with settings, starting with Win2000.

Plan B might be to run FM8 under a VM (virtual machine) that is itself running XP. Depending on CPU (pretty much any AMD, but not all Intel) and Win10 version (probably need Pro or Enterprise), you have HyperV available, but you'd need a fully-installable XP that you could activate. "XP Mode" included a full-up XP. HyperV does not. You typically need a retail license full-install XP with media, and not an OEM license, volume license or upgrade product. You can't buy full XP at retail any more, so this is usually from a retired home-built PC. Buying a credible XP license/media off eBay is either going to be expensive, or a scam that won't activate.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 13, 2015 0
NoMoRain LATEST
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far, so good.  FM8 opens quickly in Win10 (whereas it seemed to take forever in Win7) and seems to display documents correctly. Unlike Win10 windows and dialogs, FM8 preserves the anti-eyestrain background colors I had set up in every version of Windows since such settings became available. Unfortunately it looks like those settings are either missing or buried so deeply I haven't found them in Win10.

--C

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 13, 2015 0