Highlighted

.fm to .ai?

Explorer ,
Dec 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a request to provide a copy of a manual that was created in Framemaker as a .ai file.  Is such a conversion possible or would it require building it from scratch?

I'm pretty sure it can't be done, be want to confirm.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

.fm to .ai?

Explorer ,
Dec 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a request to provide a copy of a manual that was created in Framemaker as a .ai file.  Is such a conversion possible or would it require building it from scratch?

I'm pretty sure it can't be done, be want to confirm.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 04, 2015 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely not directly. Depending on how editable you want the content to be in AI would determine your intermediate steps.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 04, 2015 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: …provide a copy of a manual that was created in Framemaker as a .ai file.

Unless it's a single-page "manual", it can't done, as AI (by which I presume you mean Adobe Illustrator) only supports editing single-page objects.

If that's in fact what you need, rendering from FM to EPS, PDF or PS  creates a file that AI can edit.

Did you mean InDesign (ID)?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 04, 2015 0
Brian7 LATEST
Explorer ,
Dec 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob Niland (Error 7103) wrote:

Did you mean InDesign (ID)?

I'm getting the information 3rd hand, at best.  It's possible that the vendor meant InDesign instead of Illustrator.  But in the end my company's formatting requirements to be in Framemaker are going to win over the vendors request.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 07, 2015 0