First round of updates since (finally) installing FM12, so I start by opening the .book and saving it as FM12. Then I open all the files in the book and save them as FM12, before updating ToC and LoF – no book error log.
File > Save as .pdf fails with Error: undefined: Offending command 009999ffffff
Mindful of the potential for problems with just one file in the book, I try again with the "one .pdf per chapter" option, and this time each chapter-.pdf fails with the same message.
So I try again with a single file, which I had already updated to FM12 last week and successfully saved as .pdf … same message.
Hints, tips, and (preferably) solutions very welcome!
Not pre-empting the wisdom of the forum, but trying to apply it, I experimentally applied the .mif-washing technique to the .book file. FM wasn't happy with the result, complaining about Separations out of range. I edited the .mif file (outside FM) to remove all the offending Separation references, opened the updated .mif with no quibbles from FM, saved it as .book … and generated a .pdf with no problem.
Yes, we do have a logo … but no, there were no successful pages before the (consistent) error message.
As I added to my original post, a .mif-wash highlighted occurrences of the still mysterious 'Separation out of range'; I deleted the offending line in the source and voilà … book Saved as without any problems.