Highlighted

FM10 to FM12 sabotages Save as .pdf

Advisor ,
Sep 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First round of updates since (finally) installing FM12, so I start by opening the .book and saving it as FM12. Then I open all the files in the book and save them as FM12, before updating ToC and LoF – no book error log.

File > Save as .pdf fails with Error: undefined: Offending command 009999ffffff

Mindful of the potential for problems with just one file in the book, I try again with the "one .pdf per chapter" option, and this time each chapter-.pdf fails with the same message.

So I try again with a single file, which I had already updated to FM12 last week and successfully saved as .pdf … same message.

Hints, tips, and (preferably) solutions very welcome!

postscript

Not pre-empting the wisdom of the forum, but trying to apply it, I experimentally applied the .mif-washing technique to the .book file. FM wasn't happy with the result, complaining about Separations out of range. I edited the .mif file (outside FM) to remove all the offending Separation references, opened the updated .mif with no quibbles from FM, saved it as .book … and generated a .pdf with no problem.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

FM10 to FM12 sabotages Save as .pdf

Advisor ,
Sep 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First round of updates since (finally) installing FM12, so I start by opening the .book and saving it as FM12. Then I open all the files in the book and save them as FM12, before updating ToC and LoF – no book error log.

File > Save as .pdf fails with Error: undefined: Offending command 009999ffffff

Mindful of the potential for problems with just one file in the book, I try again with the "one .pdf per chapter" option, and this time each chapter-.pdf fails with the same message.

So I try again with a single file, which I had already updated to FM12 last week and successfully saved as .pdf … same message.

Hints, tips, and (preferably) solutions very welcome!

postscript

Not pre-empting the wisdom of the forum, but trying to apply it, I experimentally applied the .mif-washing technique to the .book file. FM wasn't happy with the result, complaining about Separations out of range. I edited the .mif file (outside FM) to remove all the offending Separation references, opened the updated .mif with no quibbles from FM, saved it as .book … and generated a .pdf with no problem.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 28, 2015 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Sep 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "offending command" (Distiller error reading the postscript) looks like string in a graphics image . If this occurs in every file, do you have something like a logo on the Master pages?

Does the the Distiller log show any pages prior to the error being encountered? If so, check the page following the last succesful page.

Also try to manually print to a postscript file and then distill to seeif the error occurs inthe same location.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 28, 2015 0
Advisor ,
Sep 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, we do have a logo … but no, there were no successful pages before the (consistent) error message.

As I added to my original post, a .mif-wash highlighted occurrences of the still mysterious 'Separation out of range'; I deleted the offending line in the source and voilà … book Saved as without any problems.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 28, 2015 0