• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FM17 Opening .book files prompts internal error, but can open .fm files in that book

Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2019 Apr 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey All--my machine suddenly began to have this issue: I cannot open .book files in FM 2017 (with the latest updates installed), but have no problem opening the .fm files in that book. When I attempt to open a .book file, the program begins to open, then almost immediately stops responding, and then throws an internal error message and has to close. I can't open any .book files, nor can I open a new .book file.

FM Error.png

And it gets more interesting: I can push the apparently un-openable files to our central repository and my colleague is able to pull and open up the .book files that I cannot.

I have yet to contact adobe support as I'm hoping there's a simple fix that I'm missing, but looking up the error codes yielded nothing.

So--any ideas? I'm a little stumped.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 03, 2019 Apr 03, 2019

Hmm, in that case I'd first try renaming your FM's AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Framemaker\version folder & firing FM back up again

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fact that someone else can open the same book that you're having a problem with indicates that something's different on your machine. What's changed? Can you create a new book with the same files in it as the "bad" book and have that work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah--it's definitely an issue with my machine, but I haven't changed anything and there've been no system patches as far as I can determine.

I attempted to create a new book and copy the files into it, but even opening a new book caused the same crash. I can't open any book files; it's not just the one book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, in that case I'd first try renaming your FM's AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Framemaker\version folder & firing FM back up again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, that did it!

I'm guessing there was a corrupted file in there somewhere--could you explain a bit more about how that might happen/why this fix works?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why it happens? Who knows (not me!) - Why it works? FM creates that folder each time if it's missing or re-named.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FM has its mysteries--that's for sure haha

And if what is missing or renamed?

(Also, I meant to say thanks! You saved me from a morning of uninstalling/reinstalling when I need to be writing).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The version folder that Jeff told you to rename is recreated anytime FM doesn't find it. It's where FM stores preferences, like your workspace setup if you have a customized one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2021 Oct 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Simply delete the recent meta.txt, .cache, .ini, .txt, Temp, files (those created on the day the problem began; see example files below in blue) from your FrameMaker's AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Framemaker\version folder and then restarting FrameMaker.

paulv37639945_0-1633628549132.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines