Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FM17 Publish HTML Nested Headers

Explorer ,
Jun 28, 2017 Jun 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am trying to break my unstructured book file up into html5, and would like to have nested headers, help file style

i.e.,

Chapter Title

Heading 2

Heading 2

Heading 3

I read some postings from previous versions that say you have to adjust paragraph styles in the source file. This seems like an odd way of going about it. As this is a mutlchannel book (it's published in print form as well), I'd rather not go messing with the template or creating conditional text across all 1,000 plus pages.

Is there a anything in the publish settings that can do this?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 06, 2017 Jul 06, 2017

Is your TOC showing the nesting you like?

Try building a test book with test chapters...you should find it works as expected, and might shed some light on the differences.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 29, 2017 Jun 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you talking about publishing as HTML5 with a TOC that breaks each title, H2, H3 out into separate topics? Or are you just referring to the appearance of the headers within a topic? The former you achieve with a TOC and pagination; the latter is done via CSS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the breaking TOC. It is currently listing every topic within all chapters, while I'd like to have them nested within chapters.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does your source FM TOC look like? You have to have enough indenting in your TOC so that the publishing engine can understand how to "style" the resulting HTML5 TOC...There's a blog post on the Adobe Tech Comm site that describes this in the FM to RH workflow (applies to FM to HTML5 workflow too, since the "engine" is RH under the hood).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I attached a grab of the source TOC. It's only two levels deep and I can live with that for the source. Does something look off on its face?

TOCGrab.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, looks fine so far - what's the resulting HTML5 TOC look like?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like so ...

2017-06-29_11-47-07.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are your pagination settings in your Conversion Settings? I would have expected topics like "About This Book", "Which Laws Apply to You" and "Posting and Notice Requirements" all to appear too. If you pick a different layout, does the TOC appear any differently?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you're seeing all falls under "What's New."  The sections you mentioned all appear, but down a ways.

Forgive me as I'm a bit of a RH newbie (usually save directly to HTML and cleanup), but do you mean Conversion Settings > Style Mapping under the Publish pod? If so, I've tried with Split into topics based on this style both checked and unchecked and am getting the same result. I'll try another layout, but just got pulled away fo another task for the next few hours. I do appreciate the help, Jeff!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 03, 2017 Jul 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you converting a single file, or a book with standalone TOC and chapter files?

Your HTML5 TOC looks like what I see when I convert a single file. If so, add the file to a book, add the TOC, and reconvert.

I've had excellent results with TOC nesting using this method.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 06, 2017 Jul 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the late replay, just back from vacation. It's from a book with around 34 files, including a TOC. I tried using another layout and it still does not nest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2017 Jul 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your TOC showing the nesting you like?

Try building a test book with test chapters...you should find it works as expected, and might shed some light on the differences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 07, 2017 Jul 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good advice! I tried a test book using current settings. No nesting. Then I when to a previous version with default settings and that nested. So, in short, I messed up the settings by having the "Split Into Topics Based on This Style" checked, and the "Enable Browse Sequence" unchecked. Thanks for leading me in the right direction ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines