• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FM2015 - Suddenly, FM won't display any .png, jpg, or gif images! HELP?

Engaged ,
Sep 21, 2016 Sep 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was running v13.0.1.385 when this happened today, and have loaded update to 13.0.4.532 where it still happens.

(NOTE: This happens on my main PC (Windows 7). I have a notebook (Windows 8) that is also running 13.0.1.385 and the problem does *not* occur there.)

Was working on a couple of books, when suddenly one of the documents showed the 'cannot display some imported graphics' dialog and showed a gray box. Usually this happens when too many things are running (in the past, at least) and FM would get cranky.

Closed everything, rebooted, started Frame, opened book, same problem -- some images were gray boxes (full size of anchored frame), some were black rectangles (size of the original image within the frame), and some showed just the top portion of the image and the rest was black.

Took a sample screenshot, saved into different formats, then imported the images into my doc to see what would happen:

• .gif - displays top 1/5 of image, then the rest is pink
  • .jpg - displays top 1/10 of image, then the rest is black
  • .png - displays top 1/20 of image, then the rest is black
  • .bmp - displays fine
  • .pdf - displays fine
  • .tif - displays fine
  • .psd - displays fine
  • .vsd - displays fine

The Object properties for each image are correct (they're all in the same folder).

If I double-click the offending images, they display fine in Windows Photo Viewer (.jpg/.png) or IE (.gif).

If I Edit with an application (e.g. Photoshop), they open fine for editing.

If I print the document to pdf, the images display as noted above (gif/jpg/png appear as pink/black boxes), all others appear fine.

HELP? PLEASE?

🙂

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Sidenote: Since those are the only image types that use Windows Photo Viewer as the default viewing program, I figured I'd switch the defaults to Photoshop, to keep everything 'in the family'. Can't change the default, stays at Windows Photo Viewer.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Sep 22, 2016 Sep 22, 2016

STUPID OTHER SOFTWARE!

I downloaded some software yesterday that I needed for work, don't recall what it was. It installed an application (without telling me) that was supposedly a malware scanner. (Just saw it in 'Uninstall or change a program'.)

Uninstalled it. (Don't recall the name, sorry.)

Back into Frame, and... images display fine now. PDF generates fine now.

Sorry for the grief.

SOLUTION TO PROBLEM: When Frame suddenly starts to *not* do what it's been doing just fine, check if any new applic

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,
Sep 22, 2016 Sep 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding to the weirdness... I converted all the images in my book to psd so that I could generate the book properly.

Chose File > Print Book, then chose the Adobe PDF Printer. Doesn't matter if I choose Generate Acrobat Data or not.

Clicked Print, started processing, then threw the error:

%%[ ProductName: Distiller ]%%

%%[Page: 1]%%

%%[Page: 2]%%

(up to page 5)

%%[ Error: invalidfileaccess; offendingCommand: showpage ]%%

%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%

%%[ Warning: Postscript error. No PDF file produced. ]%%

However, when I try this on my Windows 8 machine, it works fine.

Tried it again on main computer, but generated to the postscrip as first step, then ran distiller -- same result.

Obviously something is screwed up... simply reinstall Framemaker, or is there anything else to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the multi-posts.... Uninstalled Frame. Reinstalled Frame. Same issues -- ping/jpg/gif images still don't appear, and error when generating the pdf.

I can use the other machine, but it's not ideal 😞

Any insight greatly appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

STUPID OTHER SOFTWARE!

I downloaded some software yesterday that I needed for work, don't recall what it was. It installed an application (without telling me) that was supposedly a malware scanner. (Just saw it in 'Uninstall or change a program'.)

Uninstalled it. (Don't recall the name, sorry.)

Back into Frame, and... images display fine now. PDF generates fine now.

Sorry for the grief.

SOLUTION TO PROBLEM: When Frame suddenly starts to *not* do what it's been doing just fine, check if any new applications have been installed and remove them to see if they're the cause of the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines