I have a FM2015 book which has been translated into THAI language. The THAI book has been worked on by a service provider in Thailand, now that I am opening the files on my comupter the whole text is just in question marks. The font is installed. I have a former version of that document as FM10 book, which, once I open it with FM2015, is just fine. Same font. Any ideas?
Thanks a lot
?Are you sure the translator used the same font as you? Because it sure sounds like they didn't & you don't have that font...
Yeah, pretty sure (although I asked the service provider to send me the fonts, but time delay & deadline ...).
It just seems "broken", there is no change in how it's displayed if I assign another font or copy some of that text in the (correctly displayed) older document version ... it is still just question marks.
?What about saving a "question-mark" doc as MIF and having a look at the font info?
You might, for both the former translation and the recent one, open them and save as MIF.
Inspect some of the text and see if the Unicode code points are the same (they are apt to be in UTF8 markup, such as \xe2 \x82 \xac for "€").
If they are the same, there's a font problem. If they aren't, there's a different problem.
The above presumes that the Thai was implemented as Unicode, using a font that populates the Unicode glyphs for Thai.
Service providers can be quite unpredictable. In a prior position, I experienced them performing translations using our PDF as source, with illustrations from Acrobat Reader screenshots. They would even use Powerpoint as their word processor for the job.
Thanks to all of you. The service provider sent mifs first, I then asked to send me the FM-files and the font. I then installed the fonts again (identical, but who knows) and opened the FM files and everything seems fine now. I am still not sure what the remedy was, but the problem is solved.
What did you send to the LSP? FM or MIF? If you sent MIF, open the MIF you sent them in a Unicode plain text editor (like Notepad++ or UltraEdit) and check the first line. If it's MIF 7 you're out of the Unicode world and will have to run the files through translation again with MIFs properly created from FM 2015.
If you send FM, check the files you got back from the LSP. They might have created the MIFs from the FM with an outdated "Save all files in book as MIF" plugin that still creates MIF7. This is the most common problem.
Ask the LSP to send you MIFs instead of FMs. Then check version in the MIF header. Compare it with the header of a MIF that you created from FM 2015 (via save as MIF). It's very likely that the problem came up at some point in the process when saving as MIF.
Also, open in the MIFs in a Unicode text editor (e.g. Notepad++), scroll to the end of the MIFs and check if the text is shown as Thai or as question marks. If it's question marks, you will have to restart the process with proper FM 2015 MIFs.
Also please check with your LSP which CAT tool they use (SDL Trados Studio, Across, memoQ etc.) and if the version of their CAT tool is compatible with FM 2015. All latest versions of the "big" CAT tools like SDL Trados Studio, Across, memoQ can handle FM 2015.