• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FM2019(v15.0.3.603) How to embed an mp4?

Engaged ,
Aug 11, 2019 Aug 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never embedded videos in my pdfs before, but would like to do so.

But... I'm at a loss.

I used File > Import > File, and selected an mp4 (the SpaceTravel.mp4 included with Framemaker).

It appears like this:

forum_1.png

The examples on-line all show that the image frame should have the filmstrip graphic, but it doesn't.

If I doubleclick the object, it opens and plays.

If I generate the pdf (with Preferences>Global>General set to embed Adobe Flash files, 3-D objects, and multimedia objects), the pdf shows:

forum_2.png

(the faded bar was me clicking the object on the pdf -- it's just the image of the filmstrip, nothing else)

Is there something else I'm supposed to do?

(And does my graphics card (ooold) have anything to do with the problem?)

Thanks.

(I have weekend-brain, so am sure I'm probably missing something obvious :-))

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 11, 2019 Aug 11, 2019

Hi jaggedpeak:

Hmmm. I just keystroked it in 2019 (15.0.3.603) and it isn't working. I tried it in 2017 and the poster works as expected. Not sure what is up with 2019, but that appears to be where the problem is. You can report it here: Tracker.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jaggedpeak:

You just need to add a poster (usually the first frame of the video) with Graphics > Multimedia > Set Poster.

One way to get the poster is to grab a screen shot when the video begins to play. The poster will be in the frame until you play the video, and will appear on the page when you print. See Adobe FrameMaker (2019 release).

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb.

I wasn't sure if the poster was needed or not 🙂

That being said...

forum_3.png

If I try to use Media File (above) and click Play, it doesn't play the video, it just shows a blank rectangle:

For kicks, I click Capture Frame and it changes the label to Resume Playback, but it didn't capture anything (the 'Apply' button remains gray).

If I use Image File and select the spacetravel_poster, it appears in the frame:

forum_5.png

and then in the generated pdf I get essentially the same output as when I didn't have a poster ...

forum_6.png

It's just an image. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jaggedpeak:

Hmmm. I just keystroked it in 2019 (15.0.3.603) and it isn't working. I tried it in 2017 and the poster works as expected. Not sure what is up with 2019, but that appears to be where the problem is. You can report it here: Tracker.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GRRR. 🙂

Figures the moment I want to use something 'neat', it doesn't work.

Sigh. Thanks for verifying it's buggy.

Issue created at Tracker

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I voted!

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 07, 2019 Oct 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am working with Framemaker 2019 (15.0.4.751) and I have the same problem with defining the poster file as described. It does not work.

What can I do to tell Adobe, that this is an important issue for us? Include this message in the bug report FRMAKER-6904?

What can I do to get a note, when the bug is fixed. We are waiting wishfully for a solution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines