Highlighted

Foldable TOC

New Here ,
May 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

at first, my english isn't that good - I'm sorry but I hope you will understand what I want to say.

I have a big problem with the book function of FrameMaker. I want to creat a table of contents which is foldable. I have NO idea how to do that. I tried (felt) 900 different methods but nothing works. I found a lot of stuff about table of contents but no one explain in a few (easy) steps how to do that. Maybe I do something wrong in the TreeView ... I don't know - really.

See, this is what I want:

ditaoutput.PNG

As you can see, you can click on "Garage Tasks" and there are more subjects. If you won't see these more subjects, you can click on Garage Tasks - again - and it will be hidden.

This is what I want and I would be so thankfull if you could give me a short "how to do"-list, step by step.

Thank you very much,

Ray

TOPICS
Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Foldable TOC

New Here ,
May 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

at first, my english isn't that good - I'm sorry but I hope you will understand what I want to say.

I have a big problem with the book function of FrameMaker. I want to creat a table of contents which is foldable. I have NO idea how to do that. I tried (felt) 900 different methods but nothing works. I found a lot of stuff about table of contents but no one explain in a few (easy) steps how to do that. Maybe I do something wrong in the TreeView ... I don't know - really.

See, this is what I want:

ditaoutput.PNG

As you can see, you can click on "Garage Tasks" and there are more subjects. If you won't see these more subjects, you can click on Garage Tasks - again - and it will be hidden.

This is what I want and I would be so thankfull if you could give me a short "how to do"-list, step by step.

Thank you very much,

Ray

TOPICS
Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 11, 2016 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So are you looking for a TOC that just initially shows "1. Garage Tasks" & "2. Garage Concepts", etc. all collapsed? (Not expanded as you show in your screenshot?)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 11, 2016 0
New Here ,
May 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

expressed in a simple way: I am looking for a solution exactly how it is shown in my screenshot.

I want this "Main-Topic" (Garage Tasks) and then the "Subpoints" (Changing the oil in your car, Organzizing the workbench and tools etc.). I have no idea how I can creat a "Main-Topic" which includes "Subpoints" but I really need this feature because it makes my table of contents much more clearer (in my opinion).

Greetings

Ray

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 11, 2016 0
May 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, ok - the "1. Garage Tasks" header should be either in your FM book's generated TOC or of a paragraph tag like a Heading 1 or something like that, that you indicate in your Publishing settings to tell FM to pick up all Heading 1's and turn them into topics (it's a pagination setting). I'm not too familiar with FM Publishing controls, so I'm not 100% sure how it's done - I get finer control over my output by importing into RoboHelp.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 11, 2016 0
New Here ,
May 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

yes - I heard about RoboHelp but I would prefer a solution with FrameMaker. I also know the principle but I don't know how to convert it.

Thank you anyway so far.

Maybe someone else know, how to solve this problem (FrameMaker internally). I only need a short "description" (for example how I can create this "Main-Topic" and a "Subpoint") so I can reconstruct it in my own project.

Greetings

Ray

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 11, 2016 0
Explorer ,
May 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use the FrameMaker Publish feature if you have FrameMaker 12 or later.  This feature uses the same engine as RoboHelp.  You can base the generated TOC on the TOC in your FrameMaker book.  The result will be HTML with a TOC that expands and collapses.  And you can do it all from within FrameMaker.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 12, 2016 0
New Here ,
May 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I use FrameMaker 2015, so I am up to date - in this regard. This is the reason why I want to do everything with FrameMaker (internally). I heard about RoboHelp (nice program, of course) but I have no need for it because FrameMaker could do everything for me - I don't know how ... that is all. I also know the thing with HTML5, thats my plan ... I wanna create a technical documentation in HTML5 and FrameMaker offers me this nice feature to publish my DITA (bookmap or map ...) as HTML5.

Again, this is what I want:

Picture 1ditaoutput.PNG

Current, I get (something like) this:

Picture 245afa3-1463064521.png

You see the differences, there is no option to fold and show ...

How can I create this?

Picture 3a3049e-1463064728.png

I need the steps how I come from picture 2 (who my current project looks like) to something like picture 1 (what I want). I marked my goal in picture 3 - the "Main-Topic" or "folder" ... I don't know how to call it

Thank you in advance,

Ray

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 12, 2016 0
May 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's see a screenshot of your Table of Contents (TOC) in FM

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 12, 2016 0
New Here ,
May 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

ok, this is my current (kept simple) project ...

In FrameMaker:

85e3dc-1463076047.png

How it looks in Responsive HTML5:

1232c0-1463076074.png

And my goal is to create a "Main-Topic", in this example the Rexus and a "Subsection" First Steps which is not shown - at first - so you have the choice to click (in this example) on Rexus and it will expand the "Subsection" (for example: First Steps, Informations, safety instructions, etc.).

Greetings

Ray

[Thread moved to Structured FM forum by moderator - using DITA]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 12, 2016 0
May 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So first off, you're using Structured FM - I have no idea how TOCs are created using Structured FM - this is an Unstructured FM forum.

I believe you need to create a book first, then generate a TOC based on your paragraph tags & then you tell FM's Publish module to turn that TOC into an output TOC. But how that all works in Structured FM & DITA - no idea. Maybe check over in the Structured FM forum?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 12, 2016 0
New Here ,
May 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

ok, thank you for this information. It was my mistake.

This is the problem, I tried a dozen different ways ... didn't work

Maybe someone can help me ... would be great.

Greetings

Ray

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 12, 2016 0
rayk0r LATEST
New Here ,
May 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anybody help me?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 15, 2016 0