Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Font does not show the Bold weight in FrameMaker

New Here ,
Sep 11, 2018 Sep 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FrameMaker version: 2017

I recently had to switch to a new font that my organization provided. When I use the font in Word or Robohelp, I am able to change the font style to Bold or Italics. But, the same is not happening in FrameMaker. I checked the properties for the FM paragraph format for which I am using the font, and the Weight for the font does not list Bold nor does the Angle list Italic. It only lists Light.

FM_Issue.png

Any suggestions as to why this might be happening?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 11, 2018 Sep 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds very much like you only have the Light version of the font installed.

Check Windows, or the font files you were provided. Did you install the fonts you want on your system?

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2018 Sep 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, that seems to be the problem. We have been provided with just the Light font. Not the bold and italics font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 13, 2018 Sep 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Word is able to use "computerized" bolding when the bold font style is not installed on the computer. When using FrameMaker, the bold style of the font must be installed on your computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 13, 2018 Sep 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: When using FrameMaker, the bold style of the font must be installed on your computer.

FM can synthesize a "Bolded" in some situations. If I recall correctly, it required Type1 font, and that the current printer instance be Postscript-like (which would include Distiller or PDF writers).

Don't know if this is still true for typical modern Unicode fonts or OpenType generally.

In any event, reliance on synthesized fonts (including the Adobe MultipleMaster fonts of yore) is a stewardship problem. Some future document maintainer will sail into the forum trying to puzzle out a missing font dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines