Highlighted

Font mapping confusion

Mar 04, 2008

Copy to clipboard

Copied

Regularly use FM7.2 to dtp multilingual documents. All these documents use the WinXP truetype Arial font with multilingual support, eg Arial Baltic, Arial Greek, Arial CE, Arial CYR, Arial EE, etc.

Have recently upgraded to CS3 versions of Illustrator, In-Design and also installed FM8.0 to try out before fully committing.

Have to make further adjustments to an FM7.2 document in Russian that used Arial CYR (truetype). Cannot now open this document and get characters to display properly. If I install a cyrillic postscript font and reformat document to use this font, it will then display correctly.

Under normal circumstances this would be impossible. How can FrameMaker remap the characters from WinXP truetype+multilingual support to a postscript font? Cannot now open any documents correctly that use the system truetype fonts with multilang support.

Need help urgently to resolve as cannot reformat client docs to use postscript instead of truetype fonts.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Font mapping confusion

Mar 04, 2008

Copy to clipboard

Copied

Regularly use FM7.2 to dtp multilingual documents. All these documents use the WinXP truetype Arial font with multilingual support, eg Arial Baltic, Arial Greek, Arial CE, Arial CYR, Arial EE, etc.

Have recently upgraded to CS3 versions of Illustrator, In-Design and also installed FM8.0 to try out before fully committing.

Have to make further adjustments to an FM7.2 document in Russian that used Arial CYR (truetype). Cannot now open this document and get characters to display properly. If I install a cyrillic postscript font and reformat document to use this font, it will then display correctly.

Under normal circumstances this would be impossible. How can FrameMaker remap the characters from WinXP truetype+multilingual support to a postscript font? Cannot now open any documents correctly that use the system truetype fonts with multilang support.

Need help urgently to resolve as cannot reformat client docs to use postscript instead of truetype fonts.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Mar 04, 2008

Copy to clipboard

Copied

Vivian,
Vivian,

Hopefully, you didn't uninstall FM7.2 before installing the FM8 trial
(they can co-exist side by side).

IIRC, FM 8 ignores the codepage variants of fonts such as Arial CYR
and instead uses the full Arial as it assumes that the full unicode
range is available in the content.

Continue to use FM7.2 to fix your documents. Then migrate the contents
to FM8 at a later stage, which may require remapping the characters to
their unicode equivalents.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 04, 2008

Copy to clipboard

Copied

Did not uninstall FM7.2 as many clients still using.
Only reason that I mentioned installing FM8 is that I wondered if somehow common or shared files had somehow corrupted my FM7.2.

Cannot see how document created, edited and saved with FM7.2 that used codepage variants of fonts, have suddenly changed and now will not open correctly in FM7.2.

How is it possible for FM7.2 to suddenly remap codepage variant Arial CYR - the only way I can get the correct characters to appear is if I reformat document to a cyrillic postscript font?

These documents can be opened and all codepage variants on fonts appear correctly on another system that does not have FM8 (or Acro8) installed.

I did try opening these documents in FM8 and all the codepage variants of fonts display in same manner, that is, incorrectly.

PS: Thanks for prompt responsegetting desperate.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 04, 2008

Copy to clipboard

Copied

Check the code page fonts or re-install again from a .reg file, e.g.

******* Snip below
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\FontSubstitutes]

"Arial CYR,204"="Arial ,204"
"Arial Greek,161"="Arial ,161"
"Arial CE,238"="Arial ,238"
"Arial TUR,162"="Arial ,162"
"Arial Baltic,186"="Arial ,186"

***** End snip here

Save the above snippet as Arial.reg file. Note the [HKEY...] line
might be wrapped between the words "Windows" and "NT" due to a space
character that's suppose to be there.

Double-click on this new file and it will (re-install) the codepage
variants.

Re-boot and you should be good to go.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 04, 2008

Copy to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for keeping on top of this one.

Have already done thorough check of codepage fonts. These entries all in registry along with Courier, Times New Roman, Arial Narrow, etc.
Remember having to do this manually a few years back, IIRC something to do with MSWord not displaying CYR, Greek, CE, etc.

Should have said before, am using WinXP SP2 and ATM Deluxe.
All WinXP truetype fonts stay in the Windows\Fonts folder. All postscript fonts are kept in psfonts folder.

Whenever installing new programmes or updates, the Windows\Fonts folder tends to fill up, so I always move the postscript fonts out to the psfonts folder and have also created a separate tt_fonts folder to store all the truetype fonts (except for WinXP fonts). ATM Deluxe activates both postscript and truetype fonts (without copying font to Windows\Fonts directory). The only fonts ATM does not handle are OpenType fonts with ".otf" as it does not recognise these so they have to be manually copied to Fonts folder to activate.

The only recent changes made to my system were CS3 upgrades and installation of FM8. Upgraded to Acrobat 8 a few months ago and the only immediate setback experienced was pdf bookmarks incorrectly displaying the multilang headings workaround for this was to copy heading directly from pdf document and paste into bookmark.

If all the CS3 products and FM8 recognise the full (unicode) character set of "Arial" truetype (now opentype), could there be other registry changes that affect the way FM7.2 maps in the characters?

Have always kept tight control of fonts, do not allow font substitution and whenever creating pdf have 'set to cancel' if it cannot find font.
Have been trawling though Adobe database and forums attempting to find out what to try next.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 05, 2008

Copy to clipboard

Copied

Vivian,

I'm also using ATM Deluxe on an XP Pro system and it handles OTFs
without any difficulties for me.

Adobe products tend to install fonts in their own Fonts folder(s), so
I don't think this is the issue.

I've got FM versions ranging from 6.0 to 8.0 as well as the Master
Suite installed on my machine. I just confirmed that the codepage
derived fonts (from both WGL TTF and OTF Pro versions) work as
expected in FM7.2 and earlier, but they do not work in FM8.0 (it
simply seems to ignore them even though they appear in the fonts
menu). However, a codepage specific Type 1 font does work as expected
with FM8.

I suspect there's a configuration issue on your machine. You might
want to try uninstalling/removing your codepage specific fonts and
re-installing them again. Don't forget to reboot.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 06, 2008

Copy to clipboard

Copied

Arnis,

It's only the opentype fonts that have filename *.otf that ATM Deluxe does not recognise.

Am still trying to resolve this. At moment it appears that only FrameMaker 7.2 seems to be affected.

Difficult to replace/remove codepage specific fonts such as Arial/Times New Roman as these are used throughout WinXP system.

Acrobat Distiller now acting up whenever I use ATM, keep getting "Acrobat Distiller has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

Inconvenience! Can't get any work done till this resolved.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 06, 2008

Copy to clipboard

Copied

Vivian,

Exactly which version of ATM Deluxe are you using? Did you install the
fix for XP? See
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=1553

Just run the .reg file to re-install a codepage specific version.

Make sure that you have the path(s) to all of your fonts specified in
Distiller (Settings > Font Locations...).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 06, 2008

Copy to clipboard

Copied

Vivian,

I remember that Adobe long ago abandoned ATM Deluxe. I think the newer versions of Windows do not need it to rasterize PostScript fonts. I am not exactly sure but I do know that it is true for Macintosh OS X systems. And I think it is true for Windows XP also. If your only reason for using ATM is to manage fonts, that is activate and deactivate, then maybe you should look for a more recent font management program. I have no suggestions, because I do not use one.

Van

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines