• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Frame 11 Print Book and Save to PDF not working after reload

New Here ,
Feb 06, 2020 Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My PC recently crashed thanks to a Windows Upgrade and I had to reload all of my doc tools, includeing Framemaker 11 and Adobe PDF.  I'm using Frame 11 and produce pdf  and printing is not working now.  It is probably because I didn't restore some setting after reloading my PC, but I didn't set the PC up originally so I don't know what got switched off.

The problem is for Print Book and Save as PDF, though the outcomes are different:

1. When I select Print Book nothing happens - no error messages, Distiller doesn't start, I get  no prompt to overwrite exisitng files like I did before. I have the PDF setup to have the book marks I want and to prompt to overwrite a file, but it doesn't ask me anything.
  2. When I use Save as PDF it complains that it can't open any of my files and that they all use unavailable fonts.  I openned all and saved them with available fonts, so I'm not sure why it's stuck there.  It also forces me to open all of my files in the book before it will print, which I don't remember having to do before. 

I'm on 11.0.2.384 and there are no updates to install. I can get a PDF eventually by opening all of the files and using Save as PDF, but the process doens't seem as smooth as it did before my crash. Why isn't Distiller starting when I select Print Book - is there something I need to set/install?

TOPICS
PDF output , Technical Communication Suite

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2020 Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm assuming nothing else can create a PDF using Acrobat too on your system? No Adobe PDF printer instance either? It's probably either the order of installation or admin rights (or a combo of the two). Standalone products or TCS? If standalone, you need to load Acrobat first, then FM, but watch that it doesn't try to install the "headless" distiller that FM ships with. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I can create PDF from Word (and other Office tools) just fine.  

I ran TCS when I reinstalled my PC and selected: Frame, Adobe Illustrator, and Acrobat Pro. I don't use the rest of the Suite. I don't remember if it tried to install the headless Distiller. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you did it as the Suite, then it should have installed it correctly. Did you install it as an admin?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I installed it as me.  Should I uninstall and reinstall as admin?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably, unless "you" have full admin rights 😁

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I do have full admin rights.  But either way, I unistalled and reinstalled as Admin and opened the book I was working on yesterday.  When I selected Print Book I got an internal error and Frame quit.  (Internal Error 11004, 20312388, 20312682, 23056085. blah blah blah) So I don't think installing as admin helped.  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After installing as admin -

• Save as PDF still fails the same way, it won't open any files becuase they use unavailable fonts, so I have to open each file then save the book as pdf.  I dont' know why it's not resetting the fonts and saving that when I open the files individually. 
  • Print book highlights the first three files in the book then drops core/give the internal error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Better give Support a buzz then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I started looking at why it kept yelling at me about unavailable fonts (searched unavailalbe fonts) and found my docs were using zapf dingbats (no idea where). I replaced that font with another and now Print Book works fine.  Save as PD sort of works - it prints everything and doesn't make me open the files, but it completely destroys my variables on my title page.  So now I have a different issue to search for.  Whee! Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines