• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Frame 2017 cannot print to PDF or PS or Printer as of April 6, 2018

Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2018 Apr 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since a major update to Windows 10, installed April 6 2018, I cannot generate a PDF. Nothing happens. When trying to output to PS of send to a printer, I get the error dialog - Cannot print because the selected default printer is not compatible with FrameMaker. (Cannot query escape 768.) I have Creative Cloud tools as well, in particular Acrobat DC. Running Windows 10, Version 1803, OS Build 17133.1

TOPICS
PDF output

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 10, 2018 Apr 10, 2018

Hi Mark,

It was nice to chat with you in our screen session.

Glad we could solve your problem with Save as PDF by choosing the CMYK option instead of RGB in the PDF Setup options.

I wish I could give you a solid reason why this option makes a difference, I just know from experience that it's the more reliable choice for producing PDF from FrameMaker, and why it's part of the post I referred to earlier.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 115 Replies 115
Explorer ,
May 09, 2018 May 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Amitoj,

Thanks for your comments. Let's hope Microsoft will solve this problem soon.

Regards Gert Zwart

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2018 May 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Amitoj and all who shed light on this problem. I work for a state agency, so rolling back to the previous version of Windows 10 isn't an option for us, so I really hope that there is news of a patch sometime very soon. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for more news on this.

Thanks again, everyone.

Jay Shaw

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does any of you have solution for Right-To-Left languages (other than roll back to build 1709 of Win10)?

I've tried already various of other options. So far, the best results are with use of an alternative printer (PDF-XChange 5.0).
But results aren't perfect. Lack of bookmarks and links, quality of the converted artworks (EPS-es) disqualifies PDF's from use.

–Tomasz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2018 May 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Matt, thank you! That fixed it for me too. After an hour of setting changes and an Acrobat reinstall, changing from RGB to CMYK did the trick. Appreciate your help over the years, we've been using FM since 2014 successfully, and a big part of it was the training we got from you. Cheers.

~Kendall at Qualifacts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kendall, nice to hear from you. I'll be in FL (Orlando) for the STC Summit next week.

Glad to hear the RGB/CMYK setting cleared it up for you!

Hopefully MS fixes their latest updaters to address the PDF issue soon.

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have the exact same problem, but with FrameMaker 7.2. Cannot print to any "real" printer or to any pdf printer. The problem is that the version of pdf-writer (or FM) we have doesn't have any settings for RGB or CMYK, like in the screen shots above. The problem is on my colleagues computer, I have not yet installed the Windows update. AND I WILL NOT as I print a lot every day. He only needs it sometimes.

PS. I have tried all kinds of "PDF Job options" including the RGB and CMYK. Doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 16, 2018 May 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lena,

The screenshot with the RGB/CMYK option is from the Save as PDF route.

Can you please visit and follow ALL the steps listed at http://techcommtools.com/framemaker-pdf-tips-and-tricks/

http://techcommtools.com/framemaker-pdf-tips-and-tricks/

They have worked for many folks, and should work for you as well.

Specifically, the Rely on system fonts only; do not use document fonts option seems to be hanging up most folks after a recent Win update. This option should be deselected, as in the screen below.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 21, 2018 May 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On behalf of Adobe Systems Incorporated:

There appears to be a number of “issues” with printing, especially if any OpenType CFF fonts are used, with the Windows 10 Spring 2018 version 1803. However, the issue described in this thread is not one that we understand yet.

It would be most helpful if the OP could try printing to Adobe PDF making sure that the Rely on system fonts only option is not enabled. Please let us know whether the problem still occurs or not.

Microsoft is already aware of this thread on the Adobe Forums!!!

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Dov,

I'm not the OP, but I have tried to print with the environment you described. Here are some screenshots (sorry, that it is the German version, but you may get the point):

2018-05-21-adobe-pdf-printer-screenshot-4.jpg2018-05-21-adobe-pdf-printer-screenshot-6.jpg2018-05-21-adobe-pdf-printer-screenshot-5.jpg2018-05-21-adobe-pdf-printer-screenshot-1.jpg2018-05-21-adobe-pdf-printer-screenshot-2.jpg

2018-05-21-adobe-pdf-printer-screenshot-3.jpg

Hope, that helps.

Kind regards, Thomas Krickstadt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does, thank you. The font option doesn't seem to be the variable causing the problem!

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dov,

I am the OP and I too have the same response as Thomas on my Win10 1803 system.

Since I have your attention, the other issue I started a thread on is math equations clipping. Under Win10 1709 the problem is solved by using RGB instead of CMYK. I don't know how this ties in with the above, except I need to produce documents with equations and don't want to manually adjust the bounding box. Right now under 1803 we can only output to PDF directly with the CMYK setting.

Mark Wickert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback. The issues are unrelated. The total inability to print to the Adobe PDF PostScript printer driver instance (which is used by the traditional RGB method) is already under investigation by Adobe and Microsoft. Persons on the FrameMaker team (which I am not) will need to follow up on the other issue.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just want to thank all of you for this information that I found very useful yesterday. I had this problem while working on a tight deadline and was receiving the same message. After reading through this thread, I solved my issues by uninstalling the April 2018 Windows 10 update from my computer. The problem went away and I can now continue to print to Adobe PDF as I have always done in the past.

You can also disable any future Windows updates by following the instructions in this link.

How to Disable Windows 10 Update in Every Way - EaseUS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that "Disable Windows Updates" post!

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2018 Jun 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having some luck, granted I am still studying it, on making sure my color definitions in the graphics exactly match the color definitions in Adobe printer (under Job Options, Edit). When they are an exact match the printer works. The problem for me is figuring out what an exact match is, when using given color definitions. But it is a useful area to explore. Best, Ruth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On behalf of Adobe Systems Incorporated ...

As of today, Tuesday, May 22, 2018, I have received information that Microsoft has indeed discovered the source of the problem in its own code that was modified immediately prior to the release of Windows 10 Version 1803. The code change was not made to any other version of Windows.

Microsoft recognizes that this is a high severity bug that they are working on a fix for to appear in an upcoming Patch Tuesday update to Windows 10 Version 1803.

Thanks to everyone who reported this problem and provided the information necessary to properly describe it to Microsoft.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dov and Others,

Wow! This is great news. I never really look forward to patch Tuesday, now I am excited.

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for the information. I've been working with FrameMaker for years and just last month we needed to start a project with Right-To-Left languages, which requires the RGB option when Saving As PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure that this is a Microsoft issue.  I use a dozen different programs daily, and every one of them can print to pdf using the Adobe printer driver without a hitch.  Even Illustrator and Photoshop print just fine.  It is only FrameMaker that has this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

StreamFlow,

When I first discovered the issue I too tried other, especially Illustrator, and have no issues. My feeling is that since the lineage of FrameMaker comes from the original creator, Frame Technologies, not Adobe, the internals are different. I am sorry to hear you are dead in the water at this point. I have a second machine frozen at version 1709 until this is resolved. I hope the update comes on or before the next patch Tuesday, which I think would be June 12.

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am going to try an old laptop that may have FrameMaker on it.  I am not sure that it is the 1803 update that is causing the problem.  I have had 1803 for several weeks without any issues and I use Framemaker every day.  It was only this afternoon that this problem started.  If effects Framemaker 2017 and Framemaker 11.  Now both programs crash with the "escape 768" error any time I try to print to ANY printer.  Fortunately it was working this morning when i was printing out materials for a presentation that I made today.  I am going to have to do some fast talking with a client tomorrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

StreamFlow​ - fastest solution is to just roll the 1803 update back & wait for the fix to come out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That only works for 10 days after the 1803 update.  After that, Microsoft removes the previous version.  FM was working fine with 1803 for several weeks before this started, so now its too late to roll back to the previous version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is indeed a Microsoft issue and they acknowledge it. There are some aspects of the driver interface that FrameMaker uses (properly) that are not used by other Adobe applications which generate all their own PostScript as opposed to FrameMaker which lets the driver (in RGB mode) generate most but not all the PostScript.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 30, 2018 May 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have the same problem now trying to print directly to my Canon MF410 Series UFR 11 mono laser. This is getting silly now. I am trying to earn a living here.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines