• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Frame 2017 cannot print to PDF or PS or Printer as of April 6, 2018

Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2018 Apr 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since a major update to Windows 10, installed April 6 2018, I cannot generate a PDF. Nothing happens. When trying to output to PS of send to a printer, I get the error dialog - Cannot print because the selected default printer is not compatible with FrameMaker. (Cannot query escape 768.) I have Creative Cloud tools as well, in particular Acrobat DC. Running Windows 10, Version 1803, OS Build 17133.1

TOPICS
PDF output

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 10, 2018 Apr 10, 2018

Hi Mark,

It was nice to chat with you in our screen session.

Glad we could solve your problem with Save as PDF by choosing the CMYK option instead of RGB in the PDF Setup options.

I wish I could give you a solid reason why this option makes a difference, I just know from experience that it's the more reliable choice for producing PDF from FrameMaker, and why it's part of the post I referred to earlier.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 115 Replies 115
Community Expert ,
May 30, 2018 May 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the Windows update is frustrating.

However, I recommend you always produce a PDF and then use the PDF for printing. In my experience, it's more efficient than locking up FrameMaker while printing directly.

Follow tips at http://techcommtools.com/framemaker-pdf-tips-and-tricks/ and you should be good to go. Pay particular attention to the CMYK choice, and the Rely on System Fonts option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But that's the problem, Framemaker no longer prints to PDF.  In my case, I am now getting the same error when I print to any printer in the office.  Since the other printers do not involve pdf, I don't think that it is a Microsoft pdf language issue, regardless of whether Microsoft thinks it is.  I was working fine with update 1803 for weeks before this started, and I use Framemaker every day.  The only thing that I recall happening recently, before this error, is that I updated several Adobe apps.  I don't recall which ones, but several were updated just before this error started.  Is there a way to see what Adobe apps have been updated and when?  Is it possible to roll back the recent Adobe updates to see if they are causing this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't print to PDF, but you can Save As PDF using the CMYK option - printing to other printers will involve a PS step internal to the FM print engine - and that's bunged up by the 1803 change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get the same error when I save to pdf using the CMYK option.  It worked the first time I tried it, but after that, I get the same error as printing to pdf.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could always download the 30-day trial and reinstall. I don't know which version is provided for the trial, but it might be 14.0.0, or at least an earlier version.

However, I wouldn't anticipate a resolution by installing an earlier version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had Framemaker 11 and 2017 installed on the same machine.  Both of them get the same error, and then crash after trying to print to anything.

I uninstalled them both and then reinstalled 2017 and it still had the error.  Maybe i should uninstall 2017 and then reinstall just FM 11 and see if that works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like a system restore is what you'll need to get back to 1709 (or earlier).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That only works for 10 days after the major update is installed.  Since FM was working fine for several weeks after updating to 1803, it will not let me roll it back now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 04, 2018 Jun 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On our machines:

Win 7 + FM 10 (10.0.2): Everything works as desired.

Win 10 (1803) + FM 10 (10.0.2): "Cannot Print ..... escape 768"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 04, 2018 Jun 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@lothar Voight - you'll need to roll back to 1709 or wait until MS issues a fix to 1803.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dov, is there any sort of bug ID or other reference number available from Microsoft?  I have a premier support case open trying to confirm Microsoft has acknowledged the issue but they are saying I should contact Adobe.  I do not use FrameMaker personally - I am in IT and the issue was reported by our Marketing department.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2018 Jun 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you confirm that the patch has been released? I still have the problem. Cannot print to PDF from FM on 1803. Cannot rollback to 1709. It's now 2 weeks past the date of previous post by Dov.

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what Google can divine, the next patch Tuesday is only scheduled for June 12th.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that the patch has not been released and will not be released on June 12.

Apparently, although Microsoft's engineering organization has developed a fix, the internal Microsoft team that determines when and/or if fixes are included in Patch Tuesday updates still feels that it needs to be convinced that this is a real problem. I have personally done all I can do to deliver the information to Microsoft including the fact that Adobe is advising FrameMaker users to hold off on updating to v1803 if they haven't already, to revert to the previous Windows 10 version if they are already on v1803, and if on Windows 7 or 8.x, not to move to Windows 10 until Microsoft releases the fix.

At this point, I would strongly recommend that FrameMaker users directly barrage Microsoft with appropriate complaints about this situation.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2018 Jun 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Dov is right. The only action we can do now, is to push Microsoft to get it resolved asap.

I just contacted them (case no. 1428883354) and they confirmed that they are aware of this issue.

I've asked twice during the conversation, when I can expect the patch. I was told that it will be published 'shortly', unfortunately agent wasn't able to give me approximate date.

Please contact Microsoft via Support portal, or use the Feedback Hub.

Tomasz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2018 Jun 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been in touch with the technical developers for FrameMaker and I think folks may find the following conversation very useful. You will have to scroll to the bottom and read upwards to get the details from the developers.

Bless you. I will relay that information to the others in the thread.

Thank you, Ruth

Sent: Monday, June 11, 2018 9:09 AM
To: Ruth Shaw; Amitoj Singh; Adobe Technical Communication
Subject: RE: FrameMaker PDFs

HI Ruth,

We are working on an independent solution as well on high priority.

Will let you know the progress in coming days.

Thanks,

Saurabh

Sent: Monday, June 11, 2018 6:14 PM
To: Amitoj Singh <amitosin@adobe.com>; Saurabh Agrawal. <sauagraw@adobe.com>; Adobe Technical Communication <techcomm@adobe.com>
Subject: Re: FrameMaker PDFs

Good morning, Amitoj,

Thank you, I have been following the very helpful discussion thread with Dov Issacs.

I appreciate that the Adobe software developers are painted into a corner when dealing with an operating system that is essentially the product of a company that (almost) monopolizes the market and may not necessarily understand or adjust to the needs of competing software development as it refines its OS product for the general market.

However, the fact remains that the FrameMaker software DOES NOT PRINT Adobe PDFs. Explaining, or work arounds are marginally helpful, but they are an inadequate solution for an expensive product that has become a design necessity for so many professionals. It is a very beautiful piece of software, yet the developers have not discussed or planned for the necessity of PDF printing work designed by this software. It is not the problem of the users, it is the problem of the developers. Users should not have to be individual supplicants to the OS designers.

Adobe and Microsoft need to have a working relationship that the users can count on, or else FrameMaker should display the legal caveat that "FrameMaker will not necessarily print Adobe PDFs using the Microsoft OS."

Thank you for your consideration. I intend to copy this letter and your response to me to the thread.

Regards, Ruth Shaw

Sent: Sunday, June 10, 2018 6:23 AM
To: Saurabh Agrawal.; Adobe Technical Communication
Cc: Ruth Shaw; Adobe Technical Communication
Subject: Re: FrameMaker PDFs

Hi Ruth

We are working with Microsoft team on this issue and they do have an internal fix for this but it has not been released yet (via windows 1803 patch). We are following up with Microsoft team on this and for now the only workaround is to move back to windows 1709.

Here is an updated thread with all details and comments from Dov Issacs

https://forums.adobe.com/message/10429993#10429993

As soon as we have any updates we will be posting it out on the Adobe FrameMaker forum.

Regards

Amitoj singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps the disclaimer should read:

FrameMaker works with the version of Windows current at the time of release.

This is true for full releases as well as patch releases such as 14.0.4.

Not even Windows developers can plan for future conflicts software conflicts due to OS development, so carefully consider a Windows autoupdate policy or have a backup available so that you can revert to a known Windows environment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How true. Nicely put.

Thank you, Ruth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dov, Amitoj, Saurabh,

At this point, do you still recommend that users contact Microsoft about this issue? If so, can you recommend a phone number, web site, or email address to use?

I spent over an hour on the phone with tech support. The technician kept wanting to fix my problem, I kept trying to explain that he couldn't and I just wanted to be added to the list of users who can't complete my work because of this issue. I finally let him look at my computer and try to print an FM 2017 document to PDF. When he saw the error message, he wanted to know if I had the installer for FM, and wanted to install the recommended Win 10 update. He finally admitted he couldn't help and that I would just have to wait for a future update. All of which I told him at the beginning of the conversation, and several times throughout. When pressed, he did say he could report my call appropriately. I have no idea, however, if my call will be grouped with those of others on this topic.

By the way, the US number I called was from a list of global Microsoft tech support numbers, (800) 642-7676.

Meanwhile, what versions of FM would be addressed by an Adobe solution? Would users of FM 2015 and earlier need to upgrade to a newer version of FM to benefit?

Thanks,

--Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 12, 2018 Jun 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this point, Microsoft has acknowledged the problem and is testing a solution that will hopefully see the light of day (in a Patch Tuesday update for real users) within the next month or so.

You no longer need to bug them about it, at least for now.

And FWIW, this isn't FrameMaker version dependent.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fix was not in today's Patch, unfortunately. Microsoft mentions one unresolved item that is planned to be fixed later this month, but it sounds unrelated to this issue. Rats.

-Carl

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Folks, stop looking for fixes before we know they will be issued. The particular fix will possibly be issued in July.

We will definitely let you know when the fix is made available!

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 14, 2018 Jun 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All

Just to update you on Windows 10 (1803 build) issue which impacted File -> Print and File -> Save as PDF options with FrameMaker ( v12, v2015, v2017). We have been working closely with Microsoft team on this issue and recently an insider Windows 10 build was released.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/06/06/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-1...

We have started testing out the issue that was reported on this insider build and initial testing indicates that issue has been resolved. For those of you who have access to Windows 10 Insider preview builds (or would like to get enrolled in the beta program for Windows) , please visit https://insider.windows.com/en-us/ and try the new preview build. Once installed, if you check windows version it should show screenshot as below:

Thanks

Saurabh

FM Engineering

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2018 Jun 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does Microsoft have a KB article for this yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 15, 2018 Jun 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as we know, no!

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines