• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Frame 2017 cannot print to PDF or PS or Printer as of April 6, 2018

Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2018 Apr 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since a major update to Windows 10, installed April 6 2018, I cannot generate a PDF. Nothing happens. When trying to output to PS of send to a printer, I get the error dialog - Cannot print because the selected default printer is not compatible with FrameMaker. (Cannot query escape 768.) I have Creative Cloud tools as well, in particular Acrobat DC. Running Windows 10, Version 1803, OS Build 17133.1

TOPICS
PDF output

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 10, 2018 Apr 10, 2018

Hi Mark,

It was nice to chat with you in our screen session.

Glad we could solve your problem with Save as PDF by choosing the CMYK option instead of RGB in the PDF Setup options.

I wish I could give you a solid reason why this option makes a difference, I just know from experience that it's the more reliable choice for producing PDF from FrameMaker, and why it's part of the post I referred to earlier.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 115 Replies 115
Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2018 Jun 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have downloaded and installed the brand new MS 10 updates, and though the Print as PDF is still not working, Save As PDF appears to be working. Slowly, but working. !!!! A helpful, though partial resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 17, 2018 Jun 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ruth,

We were testing internally and able to use both Save as PDF and Print as PDF functionality as well. Can you please share details at techcomm@adobe.com (or personal message me) with some sample files so we can try it out

Thanks

Amitoj Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 17, 2018 Jun 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amitoj,

I believe that Ruth was referring to the regular Windows updates, not the insider program Windows builds. That being the case, the Print to PDF path would not be expected to be fixed yet. We are expecting Microsoft to release the fix (which appears it the insider program builds - not for production use) to v1803 of Windows 10 sometime in July (we hope).

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2018 Jun 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is absolutely correct, Dov. Not perfect, yet, but it is incredibly helpful to me in the interim. Ruth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All

In reference to the issue where in Save as PDF and print PDF was not working with Framemaker on Windows 10 (1803 build),  we continue to work with Microsoft to try and release the fix asap.

In the interim,

1. User could go ahead and download Windows Insider build (Beta build – 17686 for Windows 10). Details on the build mentioned on Microsoft blog: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/06/06/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-1... .  As per our testing with the beta build, we are able to successfully generate PDF using Save as & Print menu options which were not working with 1803 build.
  2. We have also released a workaround for this issue. Details are mentioned in the technote : https://helpx.adobe.com/framemaker/kb/cannot-generate-pdf-after-win-10-april-update.html. The workaround has been to bypass the printer escape function which was not working with Windows 10 (1803 build). This function may impact the PDF output as it deals in the area of character width for the generated PDF output. Currently we have released the technote for FM2017 (English locale). We would be releasing the same for FM2017 ( F, G, J ) and FM2015 (E , F, G, J) in the coming week.

Thanks

Amitoj Singh

Product manager – Adobe Tech Comm Tools

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2018 Jun 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Like some other users, I encountered the same problem using Framemaker 10 on Windows 10 Build 1803). As long as I was using with the previous build, generating PDF file using either "Save as PDF" or "Save Book as ...", everything was working fine. I then spent a whole week to understand the problem (installing, uninstalling, Framemaker, dsitiller add-on, using a previous version of Acrobat (8), look for indormation on the web and finally find this forum. I was happy to read and fiind that the problem was located in the latest Windows 10 Build, but I can't reverse and install the previous build. I know that you made, Adobe, made a patch for Framemaker 2017 and prepare for FM2015 but what about previous versions ? 2012, 2010, etc ... Or just we have to wait for Microsoft's patch ? Meanwhile, I dug out an old XP machine with FrameMaker 6.0 and it works perfectly !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2018 Jun 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanh--you seem to have found a way around the problem. I would have recommended that you create a virtual machine (VM) using MS Windows 8.1 and install Frame 2017 on that. You can avoid the problem of MS forcing the Windows 10 upgrade and use the VM until MS releases its patch to the wild world. That was our approach until Adobe released their patch that fixed our problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2018 Jul 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much...
Now I can able to print postscript as a PDF file using FrameMaker 2015

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2018 Jun 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When we upgraded to 1803, we converted to the Save as PDF process from the postscript approach. Worked fine except I just discovered that the "Save as PDF" --> PDF documents don't reproduce our UI icons from a custom font set we use in Frame.... I see blank spaces instead of our icons. I have to assume this is related to the PDF issues noted here.

Any ideas besides rolling back to 1708 or some Windows 10 version? Except for the icons in one of our product doc sets, Save as PDF (w/CMYK) seems to work. Do you have any idea if this is indeed related?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your problem sounds more like your PDF setup than a Win conflict issue.

Please do two things:

1. Start a new thread for this
  2. Review http://techcommtools.com/framemaker-pdf-tips-and-tricks/ for info on forcing embed of your custom font

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Matt:

I'll start a new thread. Forcing our custom font to be embedded (we embed all fonts) explicitly didn't help. Nor did subsetting the font and using cancel if the font cannot be embedded.

Basically, this worked with Distiller in earlier Windows 10 versions. Upgrading to the latest 1803 broke our process, both old (Distiller/PostScript) and the new way (Save as PDF from FrameMaker). And yes--this has me stopped in my Frame tracks....

Thanks for the suggestions though. Worth trying most anything before I try to roll back to Windows 10 1708 or some such release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's good to know that you were previously able to produce PDF.

One note on fonts: While subsetting fonts reduces the PDF size by a very small amount, I've had varied success with it. With font problems, I manually force the embedding of problem fonts (usually inexpensive or custom fonts) in a custom .joboptions file (created via Distiller) with the Always Embed option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried your solution and I was able to save as a pdf one time.  After that It goes back to the same error message even with the CMYK box ticked.  Also, I now get the   "Cannot Print ..... escape 768"  error when i print to ANY of our physical printers as well.  When I click OK on the error message dialogue box, FM crashes.  I am now dead in the water with a project that is already late!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2018 Jun 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is my experience as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You probably just got the Win10 1803 update pushed out to you. The only solution until MS issues their fix is to roll back to 1709.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did not work for me - I suddenly starting getting this message on 6/11/2018. I'd last printed a book to PDF on 6/6/2018. So I don't think it is linked to a Windows update on 4/6/2018. I've tried to repair the Adobe DC installation but I still get the error message. So now what do I do?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Adobe, but I'm a self-employed freelancer and I can't put up with any more of this time wasting and having to work-around all the time. I installed a trial version of Foxit PhantomPDF and it does everything I need at the moment, all my fonts and graphics print 100% as expected. The only real setback as far as I can see is the lack of automatic generation of bookmarks from headings etc. But for straightforward document publishing I'll quite happily use it until the 'big boys' sort themselves out. Microsoft are not making any friends over this.

I have an old WIN7 machine sitting idle somewhere here that might just see the light of day again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've managed to stay away from the Win update problems thus far, but will look up PhantomPDF as a temp solution if I run into any problems before Microsoft gets their act together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ADocs:

Can you expound on how you are using PhantomPDF? It isn't obvious to me how it works with Frame? FM does not appear to be a supported format. Maybe you are using Structured Frame?

Call me confused. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

There's  no particular integration with Framemaker as such, and no way to generate bookmarks automatically etc. It installs a general print driver so when you want to print to it from any application you just select it as the target printer. As I said, not a perfect solution by any means, but a good alternative way to print a straightforward  pdf document while M$ get their act together. Having said that, it does offer some post processing features that I've not come across in Acrobat, so worth a closer look when time allows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amitoj,

As the original poster of this thread, I say thinks for the the interim fix. I just swapped FrameMaker.exe files using the ZIP package you have provided and now I can produce a valid PDF file using save as PDF with the RGB option. Links are there, vector graphics are there, and math equations are not clipped, as was the case when using the CMYK option.

Now that I have done this, do you recommend swapping back to the original FrameMaker.exe when the Win10 patch finally arrives? Perhaps you will update us when the time comes.

Thanks

Mark Wickert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mark

Thanks for update. In the technote executable that has been shared, we have bypassed the same in such a fashion that as and when Microsoft releases another update with this fixed, same executable as the one in technote should start working with the printer escape function. You may not be required to uninstall and reinstall FrameMaker and then apply all updates to get it working again.

Regards

Amitoj Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2018 Jun 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running FrameMaker 8.0p277 under Windows 10 Vsn 1803 (OS build 17134.137) and also can no longer create a pdf file even trying all the strategies outlined above. Distiller works with other programs and I have been creating pdf's from this setup for years now.

I tried rolling back the Windows Update but this is no longer an option for me as the files for the previous update are only kept for 10 days and that has passed. This is very frustrating as I'm truly stuck now, unable to create a pdf, waiting for a fix from Microsoft or Adobe which as of today, hasn't arrived.

Any idea when the fix will be released?

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 30, 2018 Jun 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem was caused by Microsoft and the fix from Microsoft will likely be released at the end of July.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2018 Jul 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Mr. Isaacs,

is there any workaround for FM12 on Win10?

Thanks.

Alex

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines