Highlighted

Frame and PDF Accessibility Tagging

Explorer ,
Aug 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've recently been asked to upgrade our PDF output to comply with a variety of accessibility standards and requirements. We're new to it all, but our limited understanding of the requirements for "logical structure" leads us to believe that we must output PDFs with tagging that indicates heading levels and the like, rather than just the paragraph tag names that we use.

I've been testing out our PDF generation process, but I can't seem to figure out how to get the PDF tags for paragraph-level styles to output correctly from an unstructured document. I'm also not clear on how to properly use the <Art>, <Sect>, etc. tags. In the example below, you can see that <p> tags are used universally for all paragraph tags, with <span> tags that hold the paragraph tag name. Even when I have an actual paragraph tag called "H1" they're tagged like this. However, they do nest properly (e.g., titles, numbered headings, and subheadings).

tagexample.jpg

I know that I can do things through Acrobat's accessibility tools, but the total number of files and styles is large and doing it manually will be labor- and time-intensive. Does anyone know how this can be done in Frame? Is this something structured Frame would handle? I read a recent thread here that Frame 2019 may have new features for this, but I couldn't quite tell from the information provided. Has anyone used it for this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Frame and PDF Accessibility Tagging

Explorer ,
Aug 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've recently been asked to upgrade our PDF output to comply with a variety of accessibility standards and requirements. We're new to it all, but our limited understanding of the requirements for "logical structure" leads us to believe that we must output PDFs with tagging that indicates heading levels and the like, rather than just the paragraph tag names that we use.

I've been testing out our PDF generation process, but I can't seem to figure out how to get the PDF tags for paragraph-level styles to output correctly from an unstructured document. I'm also not clear on how to properly use the <Art>, <Sect>, etc. tags. In the example below, you can see that <p> tags are used universally for all paragraph tags, with <span> tags that hold the paragraph tag name. Even when I have an actual paragraph tag called "H1" they're tagged like this. However, they do nest properly (e.g., titles, numbered headings, and subheadings).

tagexample.jpg

I know that I can do things through Acrobat's accessibility tools, but the total number of files and styles is large and doing it manually will be labor- and time-intensive. Does anyone know how this can be done in Frame? Is this something structured Frame would handle? I read a recent thread here that Frame 2019 may have new features for this, but I couldn't quite tell from the information provided. Has anyone used it for this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 05, 2019 0

Have something to add?