• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FRAME MAKER 8 activation.

New Here ,
Mar 25, 2018 Mar 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had FRAME MAKER 8 running on my Windows 10 laptop.

As I had to perform a clean installation of Windows, I tried to deactivate FM 8. No option worked.

After reinstalling Windows 10, I contacted adobe support (Luciana) in order to activate FM 8. After one month of emails, she told me that the Adobe technicians told her that FM 8 does not work in Windows 8.

Obviously that is a lie, since I had it working previously. Any help on this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Dr Antonio.

The Adobe support person was not lying to you. FrameMaker 8 was released in 2007, that's eight years before Windows 10. It's therefore not viable for Adobe to officially support FrameMaker 8 on a much later version of Windows. While you may have had no obvious problems running FM 8 on Win10 that's more by luck than design. The problems you had trying to deactivate FM8 may have been a sign of an incompatibility.

For the work that I do as a FrameMaker integrator/consultant I have to run many versions of FrameMaker. I currently have all versions from FM10 up to the latest version running on Windows 10 without a problem. Some of those are not officially supported, but they work as expected. I use Windows 7 for FM 8 and FM9. Anything earlier than that I run in a Windows XP virtual PC under Windows 7. None of this is official Adobe recommendation, just what works for me...

I would contact Adobe support again and just not mention the Windows version as it shouldn't matter to the activation/deactivation service process at Adobe's end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Ian

Thank you for your email. Maybe I was not explicit. One thing is product support. Another completely different thing is installation and activation. I have several versions of FM. Adobe FrameMaker 7.1 is at present installed and happily running in my windows 10 machine, as FM 8 was before I performed a clean install.

During several emails, I explained to Luciana what the problem was. Older versions of Adobe products, including for instance CS3 (which I have and is proudly executing in my windows 10) needed, after install, an activation procedure that you can see in the attached file (sent to Luciana).

The normal procedure is activating over the internet. The license server is not operating any more. Other way, as you can see in the next screens is activating over the phone, which I have already used in the past. In this call, an activation code was given, entered in the software, and everything as allright. The phone number has been disabled.

The same procedure of activation was used for old Adobe products. For some, Adobe provided a new serial number and installer (please see https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/activation-fails-cs3-acrobat-8.html). I have done that for Adobe CS3 and everything is just fine.

But they forgot to do the same for Adobe FM. Luciana sent me this link:

https://exception.licenses.adobe.com/aoes/aoes/v1/t1?locale=com<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https://exception.licenses.adobe.com/aoes/aoes/v1...>

When you follow it, you get the attached screen (sorry in Portuguese). It asks for a solicitation code which was not used in the current FM version ….

So, I maintain that Adobe is lying to me (regarding the Windows 10 compatibility) and everything that is happening is that, in the technical support, nobody took one minute to see how FM 8 was activated.

If you have any influence in Adobe, I would ask your help in explaining this to a technician or, alternatively, asking somebody from the technical support to contact me:

[contact info removed by moderator {JC} to avoid spam].

Thank you

Antonio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Antonio,

not sure, if anyone here can still help you with activation recommendations for such an old version (FrameMaker is end-of-life for many, many years). There were six (6!) versions after FrameMaker 8 (the current version the "2017 release", which is internally version 14).

It would have been a good idea, to contact Adobe when you faced the deactivation-problem before you did a completely clean install of the whole system. It's never a good idea to not deactivate a software before you wipe the system.

I suggest you send an e-mail to tcssup@adobe.com (not sure which support department you have talked to before).

tcssup@adobe.com is the "direct line" to the support engineers for FrameMaker in the Adobe Technical Communication team.

However, please understand that official support for FrameMaker 8 has ended a long time ago. However, I know that they often also help users with versions, that are no longer officially supported.

The other Adobe support person was definitively not lying, when she told you, that FM8 does not support Windows 10. My hunch is, there is not even official support for Windows 8 in FM 8. It's as simple as that: Adobe does not officially support FrameMaker 8 on Windows 10. If you get it running somehow: Great. It might work, or it might not work. And even if it works, it might stop working with some Windows update.

Support for Windows 10 was introduced with Update 1 for FrameMaker (2015 release), that is, in version 13.0.1 (see here).

I strongly recommend updating from the really old FrameMaker 8 to FrameMaker 2017 which officially supports Windows 10.

Kind regards,

Stefan Gentz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines