• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FrameMaker 10 is no longer making pdfs with Acrobat XI.

Explorer ,
Apr 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. FrameMaker 10 and Acrobat xi have stopped wanting to play together --  all of a sudden (an acrobat update?). Sometimes I can't even print to .ps -- won't make a .ps file. The platform is Windows 10.

Help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jun 11, 2017 Jun 11, 2017

OK Folks, so here's a follow-up. Since the latest Windows update a couple of days ago, FrameMaker has been making PDFs like a champ. Go figure...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 15, 2017 May 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What sort of error message are you getting with Print to PDF vs. Save as PDF? Maybe a corrupted joboptions file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 15, 2017 May 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The error message reads: "There was a problem

while sending the command to the program."

Interestingly, once I've gotten Distiller to make

the PDF by first double-clicking on the filename

and getting the error message, and then saying

"open with Adobe Acrobat," if I go back and

double-click the filename, it makes another PDF.

Also note that when I "Save as PDF" in

FrameMaker, not only does it not make the PDF, it

hangs, so that I have to shut FM down and restart

it -- sometimes with the help of the Task Manager.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2017 Jun 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK Folks, so here's a follow-up. Since the latest Windows update a couple of days ago, FrameMaker has been making PDFs like a champ. Go figure...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have run into the same problem, which started last week, just before a deadline (naturally). It worked fine a couple of weeks ago so I can only speculate that our IT people applied a Windows or Acrobat update that broke something. (I am using Windows 7, Acrobat XI Professional, and FrameMaker 10).

When I try to create a PDF (I usually use Save as PDF) Frame, after I click on Set in the Settings dialog, Frame goes non-responsive and I have to kill it with Task Manager.

I found a workaround, which is to use CutePDF to create the PDF. I can then open it in Acrobat to apply security, etc.

I haven't tried to see if this breaks the reviewing capability with Acrobat Reader - that is something I will have to look into.

Regards

Keith

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 04, 2017 May 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joanna,

I just fired up FrameMaker 10.0.3.419 and opened an FM file,

With Save As PDF (Joboptions = Standard, Convert CMYK colours to RGB set) i get the same PDF as in 2011 (compared).

Distiller only report an error on an invalid Joboption set which really outdated.

My system is W7 SP1, x64.

I start Windows at least once a day.

The current version of Acrobat is 11.0.20.17

Klaus Daube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 09, 2017 May 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Klaus. I have the same Acrobat/Distiller version as you, but I'm on Windows 10. The thing is, Distiller was producing PDFs just fine from FM, and then it stopped doing so. I'm not aware of having done anything different (or added software of any kind) in the meantime.

All best,

Joanna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 12, 2017 May 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IIRC, Fm 10 shipped in 2011, when Win7 was the latest OS, and it shipped with Acrobat X compatibility.

Any number of things could create that incompatibility, but upgrading +4 versions in Fm, and upgrading +2 versions of Acrobat will address many of your problems in running under Win10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 13, 2017 May 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure what you say is true, Matt, but since I use FrameMaker exclusively for private use I have no need to keep abreast of all the latest improvements, so I resist upgrading unless I have to. The odd thing is that this incompatibility first cropped up less than a month ago (26th of April). Before that, all was well. I hadn't recently added any software. Figured it might be an Acrobat update that did it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines