• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Framemaker 2015: several questions from a beginner.

Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2016 Feb 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently testing out (unstructured) Framemaker 2015 for my company. We develop manuals and instruction guides for machines. I have purchased the Framemaker: Creating and Publishing Content by Matt Sullivan. However, there are a few things that I really need to know before I can give an accurate verdict on the program to my superiors.

1. How to caption images properly? And subsequently, how to number those captions? I've tried with text frames and using the paragraph designer, by adding in "Fig. <n+> - \t" but every time I create a new text frame, the second caption is still labeled "1." I've also tried with text lines, but that didn't work. I even went to Format>Documents>Numbering and selected the paragraph option to continue on with numbering or whatever (I do not have the program on my current computer). The book barely touched on this at all and the brief blurb that was written didn't help explain the process to me.

2. Creating Object Styles: When applying an object style to images I import, even though I have the anchored frame selected as "Below Current Line" and positions "Left" or "Right," the image keeps centering. When I try to adjust it, I get a message that says I cannot move the anchored frame from that position. Instead I have to go to Anchored Frames and adjust it, and it says it is CENTERED when I KNOW that I did not have "Center" selected when designing the object style.I have the runaround properties selected at 12pt in the object style designer because we need line spacing between text and images. When i do not have the runaround properties selected, it works fine. The book only has two pages dedicated to Object Style Designer and doesn't really touch on what it can do, just that it's there and here's the basic outline of how it works.

I also would like to have spacing between the above text and image to work. The Runaround Properties don't really actually give me any space between the image when using the Object Style, and I can't even change it after the fact.

I'm quite frustrated with the Object Style Designer. it seems the only thing it can do is resize all my photos efficiently, but I have to have that spacing and the placement of these images to make purchasing Framemaker worthwhile for the company, otherwise it's no better than Word for what we need.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 26, 2016 Feb 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here's a shaggy dog thread on captions:
A way to label graphics?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines