• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Framemaker 2015 slow to load files with graphics

New Here ,
Jul 05, 2016 Jul 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have several users running Framemaker 2015.  Files with no graphics will load quickly.  Any time the file contains graphics, it will load very slowly at the page that contains graphics.  It happens whether the file is local or on a server.  Are there any best practices to speed up the loading of a file?  Should the graphics be converted to a certain type of file?  We are currently using jpgs

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 05, 2016 Jul 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any format that includes a preview/thumbnail that FM honors is faster during edit (this includes EPS & PDF; not sure about others). Unless the import filters have changed, JPEG is previewed at full resolution (any progressive encoding doesn't help). If you aren't re-scaling and cropping in a raster editor, what you get from modern cameras is usually way too many pixels.

Formats that are inherently more compact in their uncompressed form are faster. For example, use vector formats rather than rasterized images thereof, up to a certain level of complexity.

EPS tends to be optimal, performance-wise, and supports mixed type, vector and raster content. The thumbnail is pretty coarse (72 dpi) but that can be worked around with the scaling trick. Also, unless rendering to a Ps or PDF workflow, what gets output (such as to an HP printer in PCL mode) is the coarse preview.

There's a remote possibility that your problem is some obscure optional feature of JPEG (unusual color space, XR, 2000, odd transfer function, etc.).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 24, 2016 Jul 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have and reported on this issue after the final patch of 3 (3.1). The problem still exists for me in patch 4. The weird thing is, it was fine for patch 1, 2 and 3.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 24, 2016 Jul 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try turning off your graphics on one file you have open. Save it, it may pause a few times while you work on it. Then turn the graphics back on. I have no idea why, but mine seems to be ok now?

View>Options>Graphics

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 25, 2016 Jul 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob,

Can you please share a sample file with us where you see performance degradation in file open.

Thanks

Kunal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ksaini

It works with a brand new blank page too. Go new>document>blank paper:portrait.

Add an anchored frame.

Highlight frame and import any jpg, local or networked.

Go and make a hot beverage while the file imports.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tom,

Is this slowness in loading happening after any specific updater of FM?

Also is it possible for you to share a sample file/book that is getting slow in open.

Thanks

Kunal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 25, 2016 Aug 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having massive slowdowns for the same reasons, though it was not an issue for me until the latest update (about a week ago).

I should add that my graphics are not high-res. They are mostly around 400kb or less.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2023 Jan 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem since I upgraded from version 7 to 15 even if there is no graphics, just text. I have taken my computer to an expert who has upgraded to a solid state drive but the same problem. It takes at least 30 seconds or more to load a file. Some files load fast but 90% of them load extremely slow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 21, 2023 Jan 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @mgustantino:

Are the images linked or embedded?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2023 Jan 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @mgustantino,

are you working with local files or with files on a network share or in a cloud?

Images can also be on reference pages (@Barb Binder already ask).

Any other content that is linked to (text files, other FM files etc.)?

What files are loading fast? Small ones?

How many pages do the slow ones have?

What OS are you using?

What version of FM 15 exactly (15.x.x)?

Regards

Stephan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are embedded but even files that have NO graphics ONLY text bogs down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using windows 10, one of the files that loaded slow had only 1 page with text only. Some files that have embedded graphics load fast. There seems to be no rime or reason for which files load fast or slow. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2023 Jan 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, @mgustantino,

what about this my queation "are you working with local files or with files on a network share or in a cloud"?

Regards

Stephan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Files on my solid state drive on my computer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mgustantino,

sorry, then I have no idea why it is slow.

Regards

Stephan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are the graphics embedded? Linking would be faster. (Graphics with text or graphics won't matter--what would matter is if the graphic is pixel-based or vector-based.)

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have too many files to change things now. However as I stated earlier even with NO graphics and ONLY text some files still have the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are your files structured or unstructured? I have only little knowledge about structured FrameMaker, but as far as I know there are a few processes, before a file is actually opened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

structured

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not a structure expert. Couldn't there a process do something which slows down the opening of a file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry--I misunderstood your original "text" to be text-only graphics. Have you tried changing to another font on a copy of the file(s)?

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My FrameMaker 2015 has internal number (Help > About) 13.0.5.547

I have all my fm files and graphics on the SSD of the laptop - and I do not see a delay in loading a file, even with many graphics (png, jpg) in it. However I note during scrolling a slight delay (subsecond) of the appearance of a graphic in its frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recall a similar issue in Fm 2015. Screen captures that had been run through SnagIt, had drop shadows, and were saved as JPG were SLOWWWWWWW.

Those that were direct screen captures using OS utilities, pasted from the clipboard into FrameMaker (thus NOT referenced images) did not noticeably slow down screen refresh. Not even when there are 5+ images per page.

Perhaps you can test this behavior in your environment.

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Download fm 2022 trial and see if you have the same issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines