Basic text search misses text in headings and tables. I have large multiple files in a book. Managing updates is a nightmare when trying to find headings that the search function misses. Sometimes it does find them. But most often not. Thanks.
I've never noticed that FM's search pod skipped hits in headings and tables - are you all patched up? Have you tried using a trial of FM2019 to see if a copy of your content behaves the same way? Because FM2015 isn't going to get any updates now...
You mean in the heading on a master page? FM won't find text in the Master pages unless you're in the Master page view. As for tables, I believe it used to search the text outside a table on a page first, then go back and search the text in any tables on the page. That has been fixed in FM2019.
Yes, all patched up. I've never tried FM2019, but I may end up trying it soon. FM will bypass the search term in the heading and pick it off in the first paragraph right under the heading. Dude at FM support said that's the way it was designed...lol.
No it's missing heading tags in the body pages.
Just tested in FM12 and it's working fine - finds all instances of the text I told it to find in headings and in tables. Was this ever working in your FM2015 instance?
ETA: Is it possible that you accepted a misspelling by accident? Frame will skip over those if you did.
Try Edit > Spelling Checker > Dictionaries and select the Mark All Paragraphs for Rechecking option and see if that makes a difference. If it's still skipping over items you know are misspelled, try clearing the document and personal dictionaries on the same window.
If that doesn't work, I'd suggest doing a MIF wash of the documents, and if that also doesn't work, maybe a reinstall, because at that point my best guess is that something has become corrupted.
Interesting question. I've been using it for about 4 years and noticed it about a year ago. So I suppose it was working proplerly at one time. It still works sometimes. But the majority of the time it misses.
I just did a test and it missed a heading in my book search. But after I opened the document and ran a document search on the same heading, it found it. I then closed the document without saving and did another book search. It found it. Weird.