Highlighted

FrameMaker 2015 Word Import Issue

New Here ,
Aug 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently trying to import a Word file of 235 pages, but there have been a few issues. The most pressing problem is that when I import the word file all the body paragraphs are split into many different paragraphs. I cannot discern whether FrameMaker2015 is creating empty paragraphs automatically within the new document or if it is an issue with the Word source file.

Has anyone else run into a problem like this? I also cannot import and select the "remove empty paragraphs" button without the import crashing. I am unsure if this is related to my problem.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

FrameMaker 2015 Word Import Issue

New Here ,
Aug 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently trying to import a Word file of 235 pages, but there have been a few issues. The most pressing problem is that when I import the word file all the body paragraphs are split into many different paragraphs. I cannot discern whether FrameMaker2015 is creating empty paragraphs automatically within the new document or if it is an issue with the Word source file.

Has anyone else run into a problem like this? I also cannot import and select the "remove empty paragraphs" button without the import crashing. I am unsure if this is related to my problem.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 29, 2016 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot discern whether FrameMaker2015 is creating empty paragraphs automatically within the new document or if it is an issue with the Word source file.

That's where I'd start. Open the Word file and click the pilcrow (¶) to show the non-printing characters. Take a look at a few of the places where you are finding unexpected hard returns. Typists do the darnedest things.

Microsoft Wordss_001.png

If you find them, post a pic of a page in Word with non-printing chars visible—depending on how they handled intentional returns, it may be fairly easy to isolate the unintentional returns and replace them with a space.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 30, 2016 0
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Below is a section from the Word source file and the FrameMaker file with the non-printing characters showing. I could not find an issue within the Word file to suggest it being the source of the problem.

Word File

Help Image Word Document.png

FrameMaker 2015 File

Help Image FrameMaker Document.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 30, 2016 0
Aug 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow. That's a nightmare. What happens if you save the file back to a .doc (Word 97-2003) file and try again?

VMware Fusionss_001.png

You are using File > Import > File and the Fm to Word mapping dialog box, right?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 30, 2016 0
Aug 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

select the "remove empty paragraphs" button

So this means yes, you are using File > Import > File and the mapping dialog box. That also means you saw the warning about not to use .docx files so presumably you already tried a .doc file?

235 pages is a long Word doc—are there tables and figures included? Maybe it would make sense to break it into smaller sections?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 30, 2016 0
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried a .doc file import, but the file continuously crashes during the import. I have contacted support and we are trying to see if we can fix the .doc issue.

Yes, there are tables and figures within the 235 pages. I could try and break it into smaller sections, but management wants a 1:1 import process or something as close to 1:1 as possible for the entire document. If this is not an option I can always explain that to them, but I want to pursue all possible options before I get to that point.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 30, 2016 0
Aug 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have contacted support

That's good. And my thought was to import the file as smaller sections into your template. Once in and tagged, you could still cut and paste into one large .fm file. Not optimal by any means, but I've had to resort to that myself. Though in my case it's always crashing on import—I've never seen the ¶¶¶ nightmare that you are experiencing.

One more random thought—are there any hand-drawn illustrations in Word, i.e., organizational charts? Sometimes removing those makes a difference for me.

I'm hoping you will come back and update the post once you get it working.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 30, 2016 0
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Support has helped me resolve the .doc issue and this has fixed my paragraph problem. It appears the problem was in the fact my imports all had to be .docx files, but once I was able to import .doc files then the issue was resolved.

Thank you for all the help.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 30, 2016 0