• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FrameMaker 2017 Constantly Crashing

Explorer ,
Feb 10, 2017 Feb 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just trying to set up FM 2017; while trying to set up EDD rules for my output templates, FrameMaker is crashing constantly.

Usually all it takes to cause a crash is trying to scroll through structured view or expanding a collapsed tag or structure item.

Sometimes the crash is so bad that I have to restart my computer to get the FM processes to actually stop.

I sent all of the crash logs to fmerror@adobe.com but the message bounced.

Anything I can do? I'm currently on a 30-day trial so I can get it set up before my boss(es) pony up for licenses. I got FM11 working successfully at my previous company so I really talked it up at this new place. Not making a great first impression here, though...

Edit to add: I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling FM2017. I have also noticed that the crashes tend to happen with the referenced sections of EDDs. I can open the modules without too much trouble.

TOPICS
Error , Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 12, 2017 Feb 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Please share these logs with me at ksaini@adobe.com in case it bounces on fmerror. Also can you try with deleting FM appdata?

Thanks

Kunal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 13, 2017 Feb 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sent. I did try deleting the appdata, but I still have problems.

I have discovered that if I open the EDD I'm having trouble with and update its references (I am working with DITA EDD modules), It seems to work. I don't want to risk scrolling down and having it crash again.

So maybe it's just that the references weren't updated before, but I would think FM should handle problems like this a bit more gracefully?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 06, 2017 May 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having crashing issues also, can't launch it and Tech Support has uninstalled and reinstalled on my computer 3 times now and it's happening again. Can't open files so I can save down to 2015.

Why does this keep happening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2017 seems like a very buggy release. It crashes sometimes if I select too much text, it crashes during output, it breaks cross-references, it doesn't seem to process EDD formatting correctly (I thought I had it fixed with a rule change but it still doesn't work), etc, etc, etc....

I installed the update a week or so ago but it doesn't seem to have fixed anything. I'm sort of up and running but still dealing with frustrating issues that I didn't have with the last version of Frame I used (11), and I wish I had an older version to save down to, but I don't.

Hoping that the next update eases some of this pain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ohne,

I have sent you a private message with my email address. Kindly email me your contact details. We will get back to you.

Regards

Viku

Adobe Systems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 15, 2017 May 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Viku,

We have purchased 7 licenses of FM 2017. FM 2017 is constantly crashing. Some of my colleagues already stopped using it.

Can you tell me if a solution for these problems is already available.

Best regards,

Arno Ramp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 15, 2017 May 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Aron,

Can you please share with me the crash logs and steps you were doing at ksaini@adobe.com.

Thanks

Kunal Saini

FM Engineering

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 20, 2017 Jun 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update 2 is live now, it resolves many issues related to crashes. You can install from within FrameMaker 2017 using Help > Updates menu.

thanks,

Vivek

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2017 Jun 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's good news; can we see a full set of release notes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 03, 2017 Jul 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the list of issues resolved

FrameMaker 2017 update 2 available - Tech Comm Tools

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem with FM 2017 Ver 14.0.4.511 on Win 10.

I had upgraded to this version only about 10 days. It crashes anytime I try to insert the cursor into the text.

I was told to get the latest version which I did, but it is still crashing as soon as I try to edit any document. It crashed at least 5 times today and it make no sense to even open a document.

I hope Adobe can provide a real solution to this problem real soon. In the meantime all I can do is commiserate!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have responded to you via Direct message please revert to that and we'll get back to you.

Regards

Himanshu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2018 Sep 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem (with FM 2017 Release, 14.0.4.511):

FrameMaker crashes (approximately once per hour - three times this afternoon so far) simply with routine 'cut and paste' use.

Please advise.FM Crashes.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2018 Sep 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI,

I have a suspicion that the crashes I am experiencing occur when working directly from our local network and is related to the total length of the path name and graphic file names exceeding the MS Windows maximum limit of 256 characters.

As a workaround, I will work with my FM files from my local 'C:\' for the time being and will endeavour to keep the length of my file names to a minimum. I hope this will resolve the issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE:

My above workaround was not effective and FrameMaker 2017 continues to crash regularly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have sent you a private message. Please try the suggested steps and incase that doesn't work, then provide the requested details so that we can connect and look into the issue.

Regards,

Ajit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2019 Jan 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Ajit,

FrameMaker 2017 is crashing constantly on my system when I select a chunk of text.

If you want, I can share the log.

Please have a look and do the needful.

Regards,

Pavan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines