• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FrameMaker 2017 File Open file type defaults to FrameMaker File types and does not remember previous setting (All Types)

Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where can I change this default behaviour. I want it to default to all file types. I.e. the way all the other FrameMakers have.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't believe you can set this option. I'd prefer to set .book as the default, and have been told you can't do that.

I suggest posting to adobe.com/go/wish as a feature request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this reply.

Unfortunately the problem also affects Styructured FrameMaker where we don't use FrameMaker type files. We also don't use Books.

I am not sure why I should ask for this feature to be included when what has happened is that FrameMaker no longer remembers the last setting. The question that I asked was really in the hope that there was a setting in the ini file that would set the default. I think that you have confirmed that there isn't one - I'll just have to put up with changing it each time.

This is going to be a bit embarrasing when giving training courses - I know it is not my fault but we are pushing FM as the way to go for SGML/XML authoring.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In what version did you think it remembered the last opened file type? It's not happening for me in FM12 - I keep getting "Files of type: All Files (*.*)"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using FrameMaker since 7.2 and they have all behaved that way, remembering the last use.

I have just tested FM2015, cos it was already open and in use and it behaves that way.

Having once used the All Files option that is remembered next time I use the files open option (both via the File menu and the folder button). This is what has stopped working in 2017 and hence my question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not getting any "remembered" behaviour happening in my copy of FM12 - if I ask for *.fm one time; the next time I fire up the Open dialog in the same session, it reverts right back to All Files (*.*) - the only thing saved is the last folder used path - that's stored in your maker.ini.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2017 Oct 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have set me investigating further and you are correct. No matter what the file type is set to to open a file, the next time file open is used it has reverted to All. I did not notice that because working in Structured mode I always wanted to open either sgml or xml files and we don't use .fm (except under special circumstancves).

What has happend in FM2017 is that the 'default' is FrameMaker files and, being difficult, that is not the option that I want.

Thanks for helping me to clarify just what it happening. If we cannot fix that ourselves (I need to ask our developer of many years FM experieince) I will raise a request but I won't hold out much hope of it being implemented.

We have other issues with 2017 which for us makes it not the preferred version to work with but as we train new users this is the one that they can get and so we have to use it. Our applications makes extensive use of FDK and other extra programming and even opeinging 'normal' .fm files can take ages and, even sometim, fail to load. Once open, authoring is quick. Even with the latest patch on my machine its operation is a bit flaky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File Open type "remembering" has been on a number of wishlists over the years - go add your voice to the pile ;>)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have solved a similar problem with the Save As dialog box by writing a series of "Save As Quick" scripts. See the screenshot. Each script simply replaces the .fm extension with the appropriate extension and saves the file to the selected file type without any dialog boxes.

A possible solution for your problem is an ExtendScript script that displays an Open dialog box that displays a File Type dropdown, but with a configurable list of choices. Your last choice would be "sticky" and displayed next time. The only downside is that the dialog box wouldn't have the Browse URL and Browse CMS buttons that are in the standard FrameMaker Open dialog box.

If you are interested in exploring something like this, please contact me offlist (rick at frameexpert dot com). Thanks. -RickSaveAsQuick.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please let us know if you add this to your publicly available scripts...I'd love to default to opening book files!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines