• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Framemaker 2017 - i figured out that FM have some problems with RAM of 4GB. In a document of 10 pages, plenty images .ai, i can not copy and paste text from a page to another, appearing the message "go to next page" in place of the text wanted. How can i

New Here ,
Nov 07, 2018 Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Framemaker 2017 - i figured out that FM have some problems with RAM of 4GB. In a document of 10 pages, plentyof  images ai kind, i can not copy and paste text from a page to another, appearing the message "go to next page" in place of the text wanted. How can i resolve this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you all patched up? Is the problem happening with any other FM docs that don't contain Illustrator files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

When I said that the images are made in the illustrator it was to show that they are light and do not influence the size of the document. This has already happened with images in eps. I read something about the FM2017 having trouble cleaning the clipboard. Anyway, just to temporarily work without the problem appearing at all times I'm doing the following: in a blank document, I put texts and images that I need to eventually copy and paste. This way it works. I put there text boxes for titles, warnings with symbols and text, large text that are repeated throughout the document, etc. Another way, as I said before is to close and open the FM again, but this option seems more laborious. It is then a tip for those who have the problem like mine. In time, my platform is Windows, Core 3 processor with 4GB of RAM. It seems that the problem might even be bug in clearing the clipboard. I have seen nowhere in FM a way to clean it (as it exists in Photoshop, for example).

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, first, there's no "clear the clipboard" command (AFAIK) in FM. Second, you're going through a lot of hassle to reuse content - don't copy and paste it - use text insets and reference images by reference and put frequently used items on your reference pages to be used when new pages are created based on them. Sounds like you might be starting out using FM - I suggest you pick up a copy of the FM bible - Publishing Fundamentals by Matt R. Sullivan - it, and its successors, are great reference books.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right Jeff, although I know a little the old "PageMaker" myself, until a year ago I used only the "In Design" that is much simpler. So last year I was forced to migrate to FrameMaker which is commonly used in the technical publications of the auto industry. I did not take any courses and everything I learned was using internet literatures and tutorials. But I will follow your advice on "Text insets" and "reference images and pages". I have Adobe FrameMaker 2017 Help here and I'll study how to use them. I'll also get the FM Bible. I am immensely grateful for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FM isn't a page layout program (like PageMaker or ID) - it came out of the book publishing world of long docs and intricate cross-references, footnotes and citations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it. The point is that customers use FrameMaker in their technical publications so they can generate both PDF, XML, HTML5 files, and use them on mobile phones, tablets, web and print files. I have to produce structured publications for this. Unfortunately I believe that I started the application in a way that is somewhat outside normal learning patterns, but by then I have to move on and continue learning in a non-linear way. Now, I'm completely out of time to go on a course and follow the natural path, which I should do later. I would much rather be doing the publications in the ID but the demand is from the customer.

In time: the book that you suggested, FM Bible is about unstructured FM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I didn't know you were using Structured FM - you posted in the unstructured forum. Structured FM is a whole different ball of wax - there you don't deal with any of the formatting or page layout at all; your definitions and transforms do all that. Your EDD dictates the structure to be used and elements available. Not sure what the auto industry uses as its guiding light - DITA, DOCBOOK, SD1000, ?.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They use EDD and I try to put the same names on the elements as they put it. It was my mistake not to report that the documents are structured. I am very grateful for the help. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 08, 2018 Nov 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem - the structured forum is full of very smart people (not me) who deal with it all the time. If you're just starting out on this path, may I suggest contacting Matt (techcommtools​ & http://techcommtools.com/contact/ ) for a short online consult on how you're working?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2018 Nov 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Jeff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines