Highlighted

FrameMaker 2019 32 bit Crashes at Close

Explorer ,
Jan 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time I close FM 2019, it crashes. I can open it with no document open, then close it, and it crashes. I just installed this a few weeks ago. It has done this every single time since install. It is already updated to the latest version.

Snag_1ddf7a16.png

TOPICS
Error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

FrameMaker 2019 32 bit Crashes at Close

Explorer ,
Jan 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time I close FM 2019, it crashes. I can open it with no document open, then close it, and it crashes. I just installed this a few weeks ago. It has done this every single time since install. It is already updated to the latest version.

Snag_1ddf7a16.png

TOPICS
Error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 27, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're not alone! The same happens in our team of 4 users with FM2019. For some users it happens occasionally, on my computer it happens every time.

I'm pretty sure we have 64-bit. (The installation file is called FrameMaker_15_x64_ESD.zip, but otherwise I couldn't really verify this.)

It's not a huge problem, because it happens after everything is saved correctly, including the last session.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 28, 2020 1
Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm forced to take the 32 bit, because the 64 bit has problems interfacing with ePub. It's a really weird problem, but as you've said, more annoying than anything else.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 28, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What operating system?

I was getting this every time with FM'19(64b) on Windows 7Pro64.

I haven't seen any since transitioning to Win 10Pro64

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 28, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Win 10 Enterprise 64 bit.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 28, 2020 0
Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running the latest patch version? Does it generate any crash log files? The FM programmers would probably be interested in seeing what's happening on your system - drop them a line at tcssup@adobe.com.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 28, 2020 0
Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My first step when encountering a crash like that is to rename your prefs folder.

See https://techcomm.tools/fm-prefs for info

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 28, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This started at install, so why am I renaming folders?? It is absolutely up-to-date. Is your download corrupted? The first time that it creates the preference file, it corrupts it?? I cannot see how renaming a freshly created preference folder is relevant. I installed this thing and this was the very first thing it started doing.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 29, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @heather_ceana .

It is really unfortune that your FM crashes, I intitute this could be due to external factor like .Net verison or Windows OS.

I would suggest you to quickly contact  support tcssup@adobe.com and explain them that you are done with basic troubleshooting steps.

They will help you resolve your issue quickly 

Alternatively if you have any crash log or dmp file, You can mail to fmerror-reports@adobe.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 29, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm thinking I might need to go through my IT dept. I'm also having issues with MS Teams statuses. A tech just told me that how they set things up on their end could influence this stuff.

There are no *.dmp files at all, so I cannot send them. I renamed the preference file 15, and that solved it. I would be ashamed to produce a product that installs corrupted. Now I have to redo my entire workspace AGAIN. The problem is, however, solved. Fix your download files or whatever is creating corrupted preference files starting at installation.

Frankly, I'm disgusted that this is the first thing you experience after install. It doesn't bode well for using the program. There are a ton of other issues, but they are carried over from older version. Graphics being cut-off, no matter how large you leave the outer frame. I'm pushing now for a different program. This is the wrong one for creating what we are creating.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 29, 2020 0
Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clearly it was something in your environment that was causing the issue - it's not really anything to do with FM otherwise the forums would be swamped with complaints about it already (and it hasn't been).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 29, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Clearly all of the people in this post who have said they are having the same problem have the same environment that I do, which is corrupting their preference file at installation. Keep telling yourself that. Few people will consider this as annoying enough to be bothered. As soon as I "fixed" this, I had another issue with the workspaces. But, clearly, it's not your product. It's my environment.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 29, 2020 0
Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hang on - sbo_tc_2017 and Bob were talking about the 64 bit version of FM2019, not the 32 bit one you are running. Bob's issue disappeared when he switched to Win10 from Win7; sbo_tc_2017 didn't go into any details about their environment. I don't recall hearing any posts about the 32 bit version crashing all the time, but Matt's suggested fix has been valid for many years (and versions) of FM.
Other than running in a Win10 Enterprise version of O/S, we don't know anything about how your environment is set up. Like, are you running in a locked-down corporate setting? Did you install it as an Admin? Does running as an Admin make any difference? Are any other users at your place experiencing the same crashing? You mentioned ePub - was that Webworks ePublisher? Is there some plug-in or hook to that product that isn't compatible? Just not enough info here to diagnose what's gone on.
ps - you refer to "your product" - I'm not an Adobe employee, so it ain't mine 😁

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 29, 2020 0
Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear that - I suggest you give the FM folks a buzz at tcssup@adobe.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 29, 2020 0
Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interestingly, this reminder appeared as I went to reply to your post. Clearly you missed the Be kind and respectful part.

Screenshot 2020-01-29 08.32.13.png

A few points:

• You posted a broad question, and we (specifically, I) answered it. To show your gratitude, you berated a series of volunteers (and one Adobe employee).
  • In a follow-up comment, you informed us that you're forced to use 32-bit rather than 64-bit...That's not because Fm has problems with ePub, it's because ePub hasn't modernized their application to accept 64-bit input.
  • Also in follow-up (and not in the initial post) you noted you're having trouble with MS Teams and that your IT suspects your environment could be the culprit. Again, not Fm nor this forum's fault.
  • Your disgust (your word, not mine) is directly related to your impatience. Learn more about graphics options as well as how workspace files are stored and you'll find both quite simple to resolve.

You can lash out all you want here (to a degree) but it's not likely to get you the answers that would help you do your work, at least not from me.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 29, 2020 2