• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FrameMaker 2019 adding borders to images

Enthusiast ,
Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When publishing to PDF or using the Save as PDF option in FM 2019, all images suddenly have (unwanted) borders around them. When opening the same document in FF 2017 and saving as PDF, the same images don't have any borders. None of the graphic settings have changed between the two documents. I also can't find any settings that puts borders around images. Or is this yet another thing that's broken on FM 2019?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Hi Quintin:

I can replicate this in both FrameMaker 2017 and in 2019 – it is exactly as you described in both applications. I used the Kilimanjaro logo for testing purposes.

I opened the logo in Photoshop and there is definitely not a border or red artifacts around the letterforms in the image.

ps.png

I tried printing the FrameMaker file to a PDF and the border did not appear for me in the PDF, which makes me think this is a screen display issue with .pngs in FrameMaker 2019. But I thought you s

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The File > Publish workflow allows automatic insertion of borders, resizing of images to a fixed size, converting all images to monochrome etc. Please check if the border option has been accidentally switched on in your setup - should not be, as the default is for the borders to be switched off. See the attached screenshot of the publish settings - check if your border has a selected style and change that to 'none.'

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Apurva

Graphical settings.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My settings are exactly as per your screenshot, yet FM2019 places borders around the images when I publish the document to PDF. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Try to use a new Settings_PDF.sts file for creating the PDF and see if the problem resolves.

Select the new STS file as shown in the attached screenshot.

2020-06-18_10-13-10.png

Are you using Acrobat Distiller for creating your PDFs or the native PDF creation tool? The former is a tried and tested solution, which should be available if your computer has a professional version of Acrobat.

Regards,

Apurva

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 21, 2020 Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried creating a new settings file, but when the window comes up to create a new settings file, as soon as I click on the window, it closes and FrameMaker doesn't respond - like the window is stuck behind the interface and I can't get to it again. I have to End-Task FrameMaker to get out of it.

I've also tried the Save as PDF option and got the same results - graphics with borders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Quintin:

The border command shown in Apurva's screen shot doesn't do anything for a PDF export. (Note the footnote in the lower left corner of the screen shot.)

1. Do the key lines appear on screen in the PDF or only when you print?
  2. And what is the Pen Pattern set to? See my screen shot for how to check.

fm.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

The border/outline is both on screen in the source document as well as in the PDF.

When I open the document in FM2019 and zoom in, there is clearly a border/outline around each component of the image:

quintins18520333_0-1592861591399.png

When I open the same document in FM2017, there is no border/outline:

quintins18520333_1-1592861696473.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Concerning the "fm quits and does no more reqpond"

This happens, if Edit > Preferences > Intgerface: "autohide iconic panels" is ON. I have reported this as a bug long time ago...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks K_Daube,

That fixed the issue with the panel disappearing and locking FM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share a page of the original .fm file (and the linked images for that one page)?

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

Sure. How do I send them to you/attach them here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you looked at the images in a program other than the one used to create them to see if the border is there, too? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know the graphics don't include any borders as they were not present in any previous versions of FrameMaker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Quintin:

You can:

1. Post to file on dropbox (or another file sharing server) and post the link here (public)
  2. Post to file to dropbox (or another file sharing server) and message me the link (private)
  3. Email it to me directly. I will message you now with my email address.

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Quintin:

I can replicate this in both FrameMaker 2017 and in 2019 – it is exactly as you described in both applications. I used the Kilimanjaro logo for testing purposes.

I opened the logo in Photoshop and there is definitely not a border or red artifacts around the letterforms in the image.

ps.png

I tried printing the FrameMaker file to a PDF and the border did not appear for me in the PDF, which makes me think this is a screen display issue with .pngs in FrameMaker 2019. But I thought you said it appeared in the the PDF for you?

I saved your file three times—as a Photoshop .psd, as a .jpg and then again as a new .png. Only the .png file is continuing to display the mysterious border and the red artifacts around the letterforms in FrameMaker 2019.

fm.png

I created a brand new image in Photoshop and saved it as a .png. I did not get the border inFrameMaker 2019 but I did get the red artifacts around the letterforms. Then I created one in Illustrator and got the border but not the red artifacts. Basically, FrameMaker 2019 is not displaying .pngs correctly. 

Where did these images come from? Typically, logos are designed using Illustrator, and occasionally in Photoshop. Can you request the original versions of the images that are displaying the borders, or in a format other than .png? You can certainly report this as a .png-related bug on tracker, but in the meantime, I would update the images if the borders are appearing in the PDF or on a printed page. (If they are not on the PDF or printed page, still report it and live with it until there is a patch.)

I normally place native Photoshop and Illustrator files in FrameMaker—it streamlines editing—so that is what I would be asking for, but any format besides .png should do the trick.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

Thank you so much for taking the time with this.

When exporting to PDF from FM2017 the images were correct - no borders/artifacts. It only happens when either Publishing or Saving to PDF from FM2019.

Unfortunatly I don't have access to PhotoShop or Illustrator, so I have to rely on our Marketing Department to provide the images in the appropriate format. We used to use TIFF images in our FM documents, but we recently started using the same images for our online courses via our Moodle LMS system, which doesn't support TIFF images but JPEG and PNG. As PNG's are much smaller in size, we've started converting the TIFF images to PNG.

As this seems to be a PNG issue, I'll ask our Marketing Department for the files in a different format and see if that fixes the problem before I log it as a bug.

Again, much appreciate your help.

Quintin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

As a follow-up. I saved the original PNG images as JPG images. Lo and behold, the frames/artifacts are gone, so most likely an issue with when those PNG's were generated. Interestingly, other images I've converted to PNG format doesn't seem to have the issue.

Quintin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

Do these images have a different number of colours or something like that compared to "normal" PNG files? Or does it have transparency? I remember that there was a PNG issue a while back. Possibly this is related.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Quintin,

I'm always happy to help.

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Winfried:

Good point, so I went back for more testing.

Quintin's files—along with the ones I created—all have transparency so I was exporting to png-24, which supports transparency. I went back and exported to png-8—which limits the number of colors and does not support transparency—and had the exact same result. I went back again and flattened the PS file to remove transparency, and now the PNG file displays correctly in FrameMaker.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb/Winfried,

Interestingly, we have other PNG files with transparency which publish to PDF correctly. Possibly  the way the files are converted to PNG perhaps? The images with the issue were generated to PNG directly from the source image in Photoshop/InDesign. The ones we don't have issues with I've resized and resaved as PNG using Paint.net (as I don't have access to Photoshopt/InDesign).

Quintin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Quintin,

Definitely not correct.

Can you report this as a bug in the Adobe Tracker and describe your issue in detail?

You can also append files which have these borders and files without any border.

Please reference also this thread. And please post the link to your bug report here, so that others can vote for it or add comments.

Thank you very much.

https://tracker.adobe.com 

Until this bug is fixed try to remove the transparency with your tool.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 28, 2020 Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Winfried,

I have logged it as a bug: https://tracker.adobe.com/#/view/FRMAKER-9008 

Thanks,

Quintin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Quintin. I voted for it.

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines