• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Framemaker 2019 change bar character tag

Explorer ,
Dec 13, 2019 Dec 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Framemaker 2019, how can we use the Change Bar character tag WITHOUT it causing an override of all the other character tags in the same area?  

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 13, 2019 Dec 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The formatting of character formats is cumulative, but the name of the format applied is not. So, for example, let's say you apply a "bold" character format to a string of text. It will become bold and have the name "bold" applied. Then you apply an "italic" character format to the same string of text. It will become bold and italic, but the name applied will be "italic." One way around this is to create a character format called "bold-italic" that will give you both and still preserve a meaningful name.

I am not if the paragraph above confuses the issue, but here is a suggestion for apply change bars: create a condition format that uses Change Bars. Then apply this condition to any text where you want a change bar to appear. This will not mess up any of your character formatting and you can easily turn change bars on and off by showing/hiding condition indicators.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 14, 2019 Dec 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not the person who asked, but maybe you could clarify the answer.

Frame has a "track Edits" style which automatically marks any changes you make. It colors the changes a certain color, and might also add a change bar.

So this is automatic.

Condition is manual isn't it? So won't that be making this more complex? 

Or did you mean something else altogether?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 15, 2019 Dec 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The poster did not mention using Track Edits so I assume that she is applying a character format to text to add a change bar. If you are going to apply change bars manually, I prefer to use a condition format for the reasons I mentioned in my post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the condition format solution.  I see where that will work great for each time I need to put in a change bar. I  mentioned this  to an office friend and got this response: "

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines