• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FrameMaker 2019 Heading 2 Issues

New Here ,
Sep 16, 2020 Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a tech writer taking on the task of updating technical manuals, which were originally developed in FrameMaker 2017. I was given the latest FrameMaker 2019. When I first opened the documents, they required for me to update since they were developed in an earlier version (2017). I did this and it seems the first 6 of 7 volumes went fairly smoothly. No major issues, until I came to Vol 7. It seems the document had numerous imports of text from Word which maybe the source of my problem. Section 7.4 (Heading2) works. Inserting Sub Section 7.4.1 (Heading3) works. But, when I insert the next Sub Section (Heading3), it shows 7.4.1 again.It will not advance! I checked everything! Variables, Document and Paragraph Formating with numbering. The good Sub Sections (3.1.1, 3.1.2 etc) are fine and the formats are the same. I did a little testing and inserting Heading3 on the next sentence after the first 7.4.1 and Heading3 showed 7.4.2! I then moved my insert point to the next paragraph and Heading3 inserted 7.1.1!  I have never experienced anyting like this. I am ready to just rewrite the whole Volume, but I have a deadline and don't have the time.

Can someone give me a hint on what is causing this issue?

Thank You!

TOPICS
Content migration , Formatting and numbering , Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 17, 2020 Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Huggyb,

You have one of two things going on...

1-  There is a paragraph that is using autonumbering properties that are inadvertently resetting your numbering. To fix, open the Para Designer and use your down arrow to check each para in between the correctly numbered para and the reset para. I'll wager you find a para that uses a format that resets the series and autonumber you're trying to increment.

2-  One of your paragraphs contains a format override. While this is technically the same as #1, the "fix" is to reapply the format to remove the override.

Let us know what you find...if you can't figure it out, DM me and I'll take a look at the file for you via Zoom.

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines