Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Framemaker 2019 - Preserve graphic filename when saving as XML

New Here ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I hope somebody can help me. I need to migrate a large number of Unstructured Framemaker files to a CMS.

As a starting point, we are saving all the .fm to .xml, with a script that uses the save as... XML command.

Then, we created a parser to convert the XML nodes to the ones needed in the new application.

The main issue is, the <IMAGE tag I got in the xml files saved by Framemaker does not have the original filename of the image as the href attribute, but a new name assigned to each image (the name of the .fm file + a progressive number). Sometimes these images are not real images.

Is there a way to instruct FM to save the XML with the correct filename of the images?

thanks for your reply

Carlotta

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Carlotta,

After you save a file to XML, an XML Reference page is created in the document. There is a setting in the table to copy graphics imported by reference, but it doesn't seem to work in a couple of tests I tried. You have a couple of workarounds that I can think of:

1. Use a script to write the name or path of each imported graphic to the document as text, maybe in the paragraph containing the graphic. Then your parser can deal with it as it processes the XML.

2. Use a conversion table and convert the unstructured documents to structured documents. Then you can get the file path in your XML output.

-Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick

Thanks for the quick reply.

The option to structure the document is not applicable, we have hundreds of them and unfortunately the styles are not always consistent.

The script looks like a good idea. Do you know of some ready-made script or plugin which for example places the name of the imported graphics in form of caption below or above the image?

Thanks

Carlotta

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't know of any that is ready-made, but of course I could write one for you. If you are interested, please contact me off-list and we can meet via a web meeting. Thanks. rick at frameexpert dot com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines