• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FrameMaker 2019 publish to PDF missing all titles, lists, etc.

Explorer ,
Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello - I'm VERY new to FrameMaker so please bear with me if this is a dumb question. 

FrameMaker 2019 (Unstructured): When I save as .pdf or publish to .pdf, all of the titles, numbered lists, alpha lists, footers, etc. are missing. 

Here's a screenshot from FrameMaker:

FM-screenshot.gif

Here's the a screenshot of the .pdf output:

PDF-screenshot.gif

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

TOPICS
PDF output , Publishing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 31, 2020 Mar 31, 2020

Hi,

You get this message because you have switched your printer. This is not a problem.

But your old fonts are the issue.

Can you switch to regular Unicode fonts?

When you check the font in Acrobat, which font is there?

Is the text possibly just white? Can you select something?

When you say you have to re-install your PS font, does this mean that this font disappeared from your hard drive?

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you missed telling the Publish settings that you want to include those paragraph tags.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff, I looked through all of the settings, read all of the help (several times) and don't see where to do that...? In Style Mappings, I clicked Auto map paragraph styles, but looks that that does not apply to .pdf.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I don't have FM2019 in front of me right now, but if you're in a hurry to create a PDF, you can print to the Adobe PDF printer instance or do a Save as PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks much - I just found the PDF setup menu (in a different place than publish settings for some reason), and looks like I can do the mapping there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Pdf Setup is just for bookmarks and tags, so no dice there)

Save as .pdf - same problem

Print to .pdf - did include everything; unfortunately it's in a different language :-).

At least that's some progress...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2020 Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Do you have the latest FrameMaker update? The current one is 15.0.5.838. If not, please update with the Update command in the Help menu.

How do you create the PDF?

Can you change the printer to Adobe PDF? The printer setup is in the File menu.

Then print to a PostScript file (File | Print) and distill this to a PDF.

How does the PDF look like?

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2020 Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Winfried,

I have the updated version of Frame. I've tried creating the PDF by saving to PDF and via the Publish menu.

After printing directly to Acrobat (see below), it seems like this issue is probably caused by a font problem. When I print directly to Adobe pdf, I get this message:

Error.gif

The output looks like this (different file than shown in my original post):

PDF-Screenshot2.gif

One of the fonts in the doc is True Type (e.g. Charter ITC TT), and one is Postscript (e.g. TheSans-B5Plain). Both fonts display ok in Frame, but when I reboot TheSans disappears and I have to reinstall. The heading in the example above is TheSans, and the body is Charter. I'm on Windows 10, but using Acrobat X (old).

thanks much!

Eloeso

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 31, 2020 Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You get this message because you have switched your printer. This is not a problem.

But your old fonts are the issue.

Can you switch to regular Unicode fonts?

When you check the font in Acrobat, which font is there?

Is the text possibly just white? Can you select something?

When you say you have to re-install your PS font, does this mean that this font disappeared from your hard drive?

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I switched to a more standard font and now everything is printing ok to PDF except for the numbering. The numbers are missing from the lists e.g.

For this list in FrameMaker:

1) This is one

2) This is two

PDF looks like this:

This is one

This is two

Suggestions?

Thanks SO much!

Elo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Der! I finally figured it out - I didn't know that the numbering could have a different character format than the text within a list. I went through and replaced the evil font (TheSans) in the character formats for the numbering, and everything is good now.

Thanks so much for your help!!

Elo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2020 Jul 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Precisely, the latest update solves this problem, quite critically. If it did not you can try switching.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines