• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FrameMaker 2019, Windows 7, crashes when deleting an object (text, tables, frames)

Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2019 Oct 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm from Germany. Using Windows 7 and FrameMaker 2019, newest version.
Me and my collegue (both on different computers, one in network, the other stand-alone), have following very bad crash problems.

Example:
A FrameMaker file consists of xx pages. Each page contains tables, graphics, images, and formatted headings/texts. There are no manual page breaks.
I want to delete a table on one page, so the image on the next page slides to that page. FrameMaker hangs or freezes.
Or: A table on page 2 automatically breaks at the end of the page, so the following lines are on the next page 3. On page 1 I delete 4 lines completely, so the table should "get" the following lines from the next page - crash.
Or: On one page there are 3 pictures or graphics, on the next also. If I delete 2 images on one page, FrameMaker should retrieve one or two images from the next page on the resulting space - crash.
FramMaker always crashes or freezes when content is to be "fetched" over a page change. Sorry, unfortunately I cannot express this so well.
What to do?

TOPICS
Error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

32 or 64 bit version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

64 bit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has this always happened or did it just start? Are you all up to date?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem started about 8 days ago, maximum 2 weeks ago (we work several hours a day with FrameMaker).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so what changed at that point? Windows update? FM2019 update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, we thought of something like that, but absolutely nothing changed, everything is the same as it was months ago and when everything was still running and the same as with the first installation, no program deleted or added. Ok, FrameUpdate about 6 weeks ago, but everything went fine afterwards.

After such a crash often pictures are suddenly distorted in their frame. Unfortunately, it is possible to delete and re-import such images, but if I delete the image frame, FrameMaker would freeze immediately if something "comes" from the next page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you've sent your crash logs in already, give the FM guys a buzz at tcssup@adobe.com.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to get crash logs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We already had the idea of deleting all content on subsequent pages before we delete a frame on page 12 of 20, for example. Bad luck. FrameMaker freezes while marking the text on the following pages!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Miloppo,

Some more questions:
Did you do a MIF wash of your problem files? That means: Save as MIF, then open the MIF and save back as FM. Often this removes any issues.
Are there any conditions involved?
Does your template have only a single column? Or several columns?
Can you reproduce the crash with the FrameMaker default template? Do all FrameMaker files crash? Or only specific files?

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Winfried:

MIF wash no success, same problems.

Documents have two columns.

Crash also occurs, if I create a new document, import styles, references etc., but no frames, graphics, tables. I create all new, save it, close it. Re-open, deleting some frames --> crash. I mean, sorry, it's a bug.

@Jeff:

Ok, i will do so

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Crash logs are usually stored on your \AppData\ FM folder (it's normally a hidden folder, so you'd have to change your view) - IIRC there's a path mentioned in the error message when FM crashes - it also tells you to send them to fmerror@adobe.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jeff:

Ok, i will do so

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Miloppo,

Yes. Send the crash logs to fmerror and a description to tcssup.

You said that you imported all styles to a new file, and then the new file showed the same behaviour.

I would guess that the crashes has something to do with your template.

What happens, when you change your template to single column? (I also have a two column layout, and sometimes these files are not stable. But nothing compared to your issue.)

Can you import one feature after another into a new file and then always check, if FrameMaker crashes. Possibly you will see what makes the difference.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2019 Oct 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Winfried,

tried yesterday evening with one column template, same error.

But your advice "import one feature after another" helped. I imported one feature after the other. Finally, on the reference page a certain graphic "spun". I don't know why. It is also included in other fm-files, but here it didn't work. I created and assigned a new frame, graphic and new label, now it works. I don't know why it works in one fm file and not in the other.

For our work we usually use copies of existing fm files, because for different projects only certain parts are changed or rewritten. And suddenly the copy crashes? Strange. Also strange with such copied fm files is, that images fit into the frame first. Before a crash threatens - and when browsing through the pages - other images are suddenly loaded into the layout and distorted without any intervention. In the object properties, however, there is still the old correct path with the original object file name. I'm afraid FrameMaker has some memory problems after some time of work and crashes or simply freezes.

Crash logs are sent to fmerror and descriptions like this to tcsup.

Thank you all!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 22, 2019 Oct 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Miloppo,

Very good that you could solve your issue!

No. I also do not know, why your FrameMaker file suddenly started to cause a crash. Possibly old settings became distorted.

When you still have issues with imported graphics, then I hope that the FrameMaker support can help you! Please let us know, when you get additional info.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines