• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FrameMaker 2020 with Mif2Go - How to get it to work after upgrading FM?

New Here ,
Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had Mif2Go working with FrameMaker 2017 to create PDF files. I upgraded to FrameMaker 2020 and the process is broken. Does anyone know how to get FrameMaker 2020 to work with Mif2Go after an upgrade?

I use the following path to try to set up Mif2Go (entered in a command window run as Administrator):

"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe FrameMaker 2020\FrameMaker.exe" -progid:FrameMaker.M2G -auto

This launches FM2020. Continuing in the same command window, when I try to convert a file, the following error message displays:

runfm Ver. 4.0, Build 005

This ID is not registered for FrameMaker: FrameMaker.M2G

You must first set up FrameMaker with -progid:FrameMaker.M2G

If I instead try to convert a file using a .bat file, a command window opens for a couple of seconds, then disappears, with no output or message.

I see info about the registry keys in the Mif2Go help file, but cannot figure out how to fix it.

Thanks. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry to tell you that the developer for Mif2Go, Jeremy Griffith, died six years ago. While he willed the source code to the community at large, no one has had the time or expertise to update it. It does not work with either FrameMaker 2019 or FrameMaker 2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 24, 2020 Dec 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you can create PDFs directly out of FM, using Mif2Go for that output always seemed a bit superfluous to me. Have you explored the 3 routes of PDF creation inside FM? Save As PDF, Print to AdobePDF printer instance & the newest Publish to PDF? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 25, 2020 Dec 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm surprised the app site is still up, but what it says is plain:
Mif2Go works with Frame versions 6.0, 7.x, 8.x, 9.x, 10.x, and 11.x on Windows 2000, XP, Vista, 7, and 8. (For Frame 12 support download and install the beta m2rbook115.zip after completing the normal install.)

Win10 not listed, nor is anything beyond {maybe} FM12.

What's the use case for MIF2go? Whether any work-around might be possible would mainly depend on whether any work-around is really needed. FM's output rendering formats have advanced dramatically since FM6, including for PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 25, 2020 Dec 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The code is available on github. There's also a group.io group, but it's pretty moribund.

github: https://github.com/omsys-dev/original-source

group.io: https://groups.io/g/omsys-dev/topics

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MIF2Go does some wonderful things, but what is the reason that you used it to create PDF files? 

This is something that Frame does out of the box very well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CarolineTa, it semi-automates the process when you have multiple documents to generate from FrameMaker to PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this message

https://community.adobe.com/t5/framemaker/mif2go-dita2go-udoc2go-now-open-source/td-p/6297155?page=1

It says Scott Prentice was doing something with it, maybe you can contact him.

I used Mif2Go a lot, and enjoyed working with Jeremy, but maybe some sort  of Frame script can help you?  There are people around who are experts on scripts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I contacted Scott Prentice, and he pointed me to http://mif2go.com/support.html. I sent a message and have not yet heard back.

I went through the Mif2Go online help again. I then added the FrameMaker 2020 system variable under

Control Panel > System > Advanced System Settings > Environment Variables > System Variables

for example, added "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe FrameMaker 2020"

As per the help file, I copied the following files from %OMSYSHOME%\m2g\plugin to the FrameMaker 2020 fminit\plugins directory: m2rbook.dll and m2gframe.dll.

I ran the progid command again.

The result is the same when running a .bat command on files, and the message displayed in the command window is "Couldn't connect to Framemaker.M2G". (I have to run the .bat file multiple times to read the message that flashes for about one second.)

When I launch FM now, I see the following error messages for the m2gframe.dll file, plus the same for the m2rbook.dll file.

"Cannot initialize AP client c:\program files\adobe\adobe framemaker 2020\fminit\plugins\m2gframe.dll

Check for errors in the APIClients section of the maker.ini file...."

I do not see what is wrong in the maker.ini file.

So no joy so far.

Thanks to all who have responded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using the 32 or 64 bit version of FM? I highly suspect that MIF2Go will only work with the 32 bit version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Mif2Go only works with 32-bit Frame, she's out of luck if she wants to use Frame 2020. It's 64-bit only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works with both 32 and 64 bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I could not get Mif2Go to work with FrameMaker 2020. I was told too that it does not work. I am posting this message just to follow up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines