• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FrameMaker crashes when performing book-level activities opening a chapter file

Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2018 Jun 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brand-spanking new version of FrameMaker 2017 installed, and on brand-new computer.

OK, technically, 13-inch 2017 core i5 MacBook Pro w/ 16GB RAM, 256GB HDD, running macOS High Sierra, Parallels, Windows 10 Pro, and demo version of FM (to test, plan to subscribe). I increased the amount of memory available to Windows in the VM from the default 2GB to 6GB.

In a way, this turns out to be an extension of the "crash when printing to PDF question" I asked awhile back. I have 2 books that I inherited. Both have "missing font" issues, but at present, the substitution being made is simply a minor variant of he original and doesn't change anything significant, so I've ignored it. (Even though I save both files and books, the substitution never actually gets saved and I get the message every single time. Annoying.)

When I try to do anything at a book level with either of these books, FrameMaker crashes. That includes printing, updating tables, and searching (so far).

So I did a little test. I created a new book, added a couple of chapter files with some lorem ipsum content, and added a TOC file. I then did a book-wide search. No problem.

I went back to one of the two books I've been working in. I decided to start a book-level search from the beginning of the book, and I found something interesting. I found the text in the TOC file OK and the LOF file OK, but when FM tried to open the first chapter file to look, that's when it crashed.

I then opened just the chapter file and did the same search, but limited it to just the document. Everything OK.

I suspect that the "missing font" dialog, which I have never directed to stop showing, might be the issue here, or maybe just that there's a "missing font" issue at all.

I'm a bit reluctant to actually direct that dialog to stop showing because I like to know what's going on with my work, even if it is annoying. I can't think of anything else that might be causing this because this is pretty much the basic difference between the two books.

Any thoughts or ideas on how to resolve/fix this are appreciated. Actual fixes > workarounds.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's your Win10 build?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10 Pro 1803

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 13, 2018 Jun 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That may have an impact, but I would try tackling the actual docs - have you tried a MIF-wash to see if cleaning the files up solves anything? Your missing fonts issue may also come from fonts hiding in graphics and on reference pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2018 Jun 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

First time I've heard the term "MIF-wash." I think I can guess: export as MIF, then import to re-make the book. If so, file-by-file, or can this be done at the book level?

Yes, the font is used in the reference pages; the reference pages are where the structures for the notes that use the icons in that font are defined.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines