• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FrameMaker files are being saved as .PDF

Explorer ,
Oct 08, 2019 Oct 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working with a re-installed version of FM 2017 on files/books that were completed by the previous tech writer. I'm in the process of creating new files to add to the book - everytime I try to save, I Save As .fm, but when I go to the source folder, the document is listed as a .PDF. 

All the other files saved by the previous writer are listed as .fm docs. 

I have scoured the forums for any insight as to why this might be happening but have not been able to find any information.

Any help would be appreciated!

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Oct 17, 2019 Oct 17, 2019
I ended up re-installing. And it seems to be working now!!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, check where you're saving the .fm files. Is it the same place you're going to with .pdf files? If someone had been generating PDF files to a particular location and referred you there, but the last save place in the Save As dialog was somewhere else, that would explain it. You could also check the file dates on the PDFs to see whether they were current.

Barring that being the answer: i did a quick test. I created a new frame document and saved it to desktop. Then I did a Save As PDF, but changed the file type to .fm in the dialog. It generated a PDF and deleted the .fm file. Super weird.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi PrairieMarie: Did you check the Save as Type menu at the bottom of the dialog box? The File > Save as command can be used to save .fm files, .pdf files and others, depending on what is selected in the menu. Be sure it is set to Document (2017) (.fm).

Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 8.23.50 PM.png

 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 09, 2019 Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb. Yes, I'm definitely saving as .fm. But when I go to the folder to find the document, it appears as a .PDF !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the input. I am still trying to figure it out. I wonder if it's to do with the version of FM installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what happens when you just hit Save? What happens when you create a fresh, new frame document and try to save as?

And what is the procedure you’re working through? If you’ve opened an existing Frame file and are using Save As to create a new copy so that you have, for example, all the styles and master pages, you could just as easily create a new document and import all of that into it. It doesn’t answer the question but it gets you working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried both ways - if I open an existing Frame file and make changes, and then Save or Save As .fm, it still appears as a .PDF in the source folder.  (However, the older documents created by the previous tech writer still appear in the folder as .fm docs.)
I've also tried creating a brand new frame document, added content and hit Save As *.fm, and it still saves as a .PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you use the Save button, hot keys, or select from the file list? Try a new doc and each permutation. If all of those have the same result, I would try reinstalling next. There is no logical answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 17, 2019 Oct 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ended up re-installing. And it seems to be working now!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 18, 2019 Oct 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad to hear it. For any future person searching for an answer to this problem, the reason I asked about hot keys vs. clicking is that we have had several instances of what appeared to be Frame issues at first, but turned out to be issues with wireless mice. Several users got new laptops (at separate times) and used cheap wireless mice. When using Frame, there would often be a slight lag time in mouse movement or clicks. This created the illusion that clicking on one item in drop down menu resulted in some other action. But what was really happening was that in the fraction of a second before the click registered, slight movements of the mouse would change the intended selection. Anyway, just some information to put out there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure your file associations aren't messed up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for your input! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does your last post mean you were able to get this figured out, PrairieMarie? Was it the file associations?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2019 Oct 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, Barb, I ended up re-installing and it sorted itself out. Now, I'm just hoping it doesn't happen again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines